Chalk has another abscess!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys!

Just thought I'd come in and do a quick update from here in California!

Chalk's doing just great we're told. The first time my mum went round to give her the meds, she managed to get the Zantac down her, but she wouldn't take the Septrin, and ended up running into the corner of the cage, where all 3 other bunnies stood in front and barricaded her in! :p My mum had to get my dad to go with her to help her give the meds in the end- so its been both of them going in twice a day all week!

Edit: not twice a day, once a day- duh.... the nurse has been doing the meds in the evenings, and has been managing ok supposedly, although she did say that Chalk 'isn't the easiest patient' lol...

Her wound is looking really good apparently, and she's nibbled out her stitches already :X But at least it's fine and holding together nicely. She's still on the Septrin, but my mum said that the test results that they did during her op have come back- she tried to call yesterday (today? I'm confused) but they didn't get round to calling her back I think... Anyway, on Monday, my mum is going to call and book us a follow-up appointment for when we're back so we can see the vet sooner rather than later.

I'm told she's eating tons and being her regular cheeky self! Also, Mouse is being her usual cheeky self as well- escaping and jumping on the window ledge, and throwing all our stuff around!! :shock:

We miss her and the other bunnies SO SO SO much, and although we're having a brilliant time here, it's nice to have something to look forward to coming home to! :D Only 2 more sleeps till bunnies!

I am glad she is doing well. How is Steve taking being away from her?

mouse_chalk wrote:
Only 2 more sleeps till bunnies!
It's funny how such small critters can have you wrapped around their little finger... err... I mean paw? :bunny17:

How is the USA treating you guys? I hope the weather has been nice! :biggrin2:

JadeIcing wrote:
I am glad she is doing well. How is Steve taking being away from her?
He nearly started crying yesterday! When he got up, he watched the binky videos and another video we have over and over again, just staring at the screen! Poor Steve lol.... he's really missing his baby! And the others as well. But he's taking it better than I thought, and he's still managing to have a great time! :)

Kelly, the weather has been so great so far! Rained on the first day, but it's been low 70s all week since then, blue skies, nice light breeze, warm sun :D:D:D About to post some pictures in my other thread now! :)

mouse_chalk wrote:
Thank you guys!

Just thought I'd come in and do a quick update from here in California!

Chalk's doing just great we're told. The first time my mum went round to give her the meds, she managed to get the Zantac down her, but she wouldn't take the Septrin, and ended up running into the corner of the cage, where all 3 other bunnies stood in front and barricaded her in! :p My mum had to get my dad to go with her to help her give the meds in the end- so its been both of them going in twice a day all week!

Edit: not twice a day, once a day- duh.... the nurse has been doing the meds in the evenings, and has been managing ok supposedly, although she did say that Chalk 'isn't the easiest patient' lol...

Her wound is looking really good apparently, and she's nibbled out her stitches already :X But at least it's fine and holding together nicely. She's still on the Septrin, but my mum said that the test results that they did during her op have come back- she tried to call yesterday (today? I'm confused) but they didn't get round to calling her back I think... Anyway, on Monday, my mum is going to call and book us a follow-up appointment for when we're back so we can see the vet sooner rather than later.

I'm told she's eating tons and being her regular cheeky self! Also, Mouse is being her usual cheeky self as well- escaping and jumping on the window ledge, and throwing all our stuff around!! :shock:

We miss her and the other bunnies SO SO SO much, and although we're having a brilliant time here, it's nice to have something to look forward to coming home to! :D Only 2 more sleeps till bunnies!

I'm glad that she is doing well and that you and Steve are having fun

be sure and bring your parents a big present!! Unless they have rabbits themselves they are probably wrecks :p

Well, we're back! Pretty much as soon as we'd landed and got to our car, I called the vets to book a post-op check lol, which was this evening...

She'd obviously pulled out all her stitches, so they didn't need removing lol- she fancies herself as a little vet nurse I think! :p But her wound is completely healed now and looking really good- no more lumps and bumps at this time ***touch wood***

She's finished on the Septrin now, it ran out a couple of days ago.

The interesting thing: the culture etc from the abscess came back from the lab- with NO bacteria in at all? The vet said it's what they call...... hetophilic, or hetrophilic, or something like that? I know the word definately begins with a H, and I repeated it to myself several times in order to try and remember it, but jetlag has gotten the better of me. She said that antibiotics wouldn't work, as it's not something that would respond to antibiotics- not having any bacteria in. Obviously, we don't know that the previous ones were the same thing, but she suspects it to be the case. The bad news is that they don't know what's causing them, and therefore can't say that she wont have another one :(:(:(

So, I guess this is part good news, in that we don't have to mess around with antibiotics anymore, but bad in the sense that we don't know what's causing them and whether she'll get another down the line :?

Has anyone heard of this before? I haven't, but that doesn't really mean anything. It sounds so odd to me! I always thought that abscess=infection of some kind.... SO confused!!

Anyway, she's absolutely back to her old self now- has been bounding all over the place and has her regular greedy apetite- which is just great to watch! :D

The only kind of abscess that I ever heard of that had no bacteria is a sterile abscess. I have no idea if that is what your vet is talking about?
I have never seen one but they sometimes develop when a rabbit is given repeated injections subqutaneously particularly with something irritating to tissue like baytril.

That is why subqutaneous injection should be diluted with lactated ringers solution or sterile saline ..to decrease the irritating effect of the drug to tissue.

Just thought I'd add that as I don't know what your vet said....

Latest posts

Back