cereal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessmc03

Reaction score
I have noticed a few people mention that they feed their bunnies cereal.what types? and how much/often do you offer it to them? thanks! jess :pray:( <---- that is gabby waiting to hear about an exciting new treat she can have )

They aren't the best thing to give them - just like any other treat - moderation!

Tony got a single cheerio yesterday. Now and then Bo gets one or two. We also sometimes give Bo the not frosted side of a frosted wheat bite. Bo that sound of crunching is so cute!

Once in a blue moon I'll give him a KIX . He LOVES a Wheaties. Again, one flake - only now and then - I bet it's been 3 or 4 mos since Bo had a Wheaties. Never the high sugary type of cereal.

Clover wouldn't eat a cereal if you paid her. Tony would inhale a box if we allowed it - Bo would eat the box too!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Clover wouldn't eat a cereal if you paid her. Tony would inhale a box if we allowed it - Bo would eat the box too!

:laugh:

That was too funny!

For the record, many rabbit expert typesconsider carbohydrates the devil,they on the 'do not feed at all' list. The sugary flakes of cereal (and they almost all have sugar in them) really do have to be fed in moderation.Personally I think crasins are the devil, those things to me seem to bealmost solid sugar, even the ones from the bin in the whole food market.

I give my guys (well, Pipp) oat flakes one at a time, and she thinks they're the greatest treat in the world. Nothing beats oats.

However, she did help herself to the oat bag one day and didn't appear to eat that many, but none-the-less she was one sick little bunny (it threw her gut out of whack, caused cecal dysbiosis).

Be very careful!

sas :bunnydance:

Yeah, I try to warn not to feed too many. They act like they are starving.

I love the oat flake thing too - Bo acts like he's been given heaven in the form of food when he gets oatsies!! If I put them in his dish, he gobbles them down. If I hand one at a time to him - as he crawls all over me lol - it's more fun for me and he thinks he's gotten more cause he takes more time to eat them. 10 little oat flakes are way better than one little cheerio!

But again - those are only something I use here and there. They gain weight FAST with oatsies.

My bunnies get 1 tablespoon of old fashioned oats in their pellets every morning, and I don't have a problem with too much weight :ponder:. I always heard it was good because it keeps their poops staying firm. Since doing this, Brody's soft poops haven't been smeared on the floor anymore. He has hard poopies now.

Something was said about how they can actually cause a problem but I have ALWAYS said that oatsies tend to keep their poos nice or help with diarhea - and they seem to.

Of course Bo can look at an oat and gain a pound I think LOL! He'll never be a runway bunny..

I just love feeding them by hand! :D

Latest posts

Back