Cecal Dysbiosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise S

Reaction score
Hello fellow friends of bunnies!! I have a new baby bunny, seven weeks old, that I got this week as a companion for our six year old small bunny named Diamond. I was giving Diamond a look over and found dried poo on her tummy, so I carefully cut that away and noticed she had some stuck around her genitals. Dried, old, terribly awful smelling. I wasn't sure if she had pockets that had grown into her body around her genitals from this old fecal matter or what to think. So we cleaned her up with some iodine skin cleaner mixed with warm water. I then looked at the baby bunny to compare their anatomy and found the area around the genitals to have these little pockets. So today I looked at Diamond again, she is definetly passing her cecal as soft and smelly, and she has been doing this for several weeks, actually months. Her skin around her genitals is clean, but I'm wondering about a small whitish lump in this area, and it's black on the inside of her body behind it. Also her genitals are a little pink, and I can't tell if she is a female with a swollen vulva, or a male with a pick penis. Ugh, I want her to be healthy, and to be able to cure her at home as we can't afford to take her to the vet. I have been doing extensive reading on the web, so I've taken away her bunny gourmet pellets full of peanuts and fruit, she has timothy hay, fresh water in a crock and her bottle, a few sprigs of mint. Does she need to go to the vet for a diagnoses. Should I post a picture of her problem area? Thanks for any input....

A photo would help. I believe you are referring to the scent glands, which may exude a waxy, smelly substance from a small pocket. A small white lump in the scent gland area is not abnormal.

Pam

I agree with Pam, it sounds like you are referring to the scent glands, which do need to be cleaned out every few months. It sounds like that is combined with mushy poops, making things awful for your little one.

Its good you took away the bad pellets. For now, get her lots of timothy hay and water. If you can get a timothy based pellet (or at least one with no added things like nuts and colored pieces) that might help.

The best thing to do with a bun with CD or diahrea is to keep them hydrated. If yu can buy some children's pedialyte, that helps a lot. Has he/she been eating normally otherwise?

On another note, be very careful if you brought a new bun home and the one you have isnt spayed/neutered. If they are of opposite sexes (which is sounds like youre not sure) one can become pregnant from even a moment together. If you cant afford vet bills you surely wont want a pregnant female and baby bunnies to care for!

If you can get a pic we'll try to help you figure out whats going on, but it does sound like this bun is going to need to see a vet at some point if its more than a poop/scent gland problem. There are places like carecredit who will help you finance it or sometimes vets will even work with you to get your animal the care it needs.

Thanks for the info.! I have taken away all her food but the Timothy hay and water. She is eating fine and seems herself. I'll try to get a picture. Thanks again.
Denise

Latest posts

Back