Caught Lily humping Loki

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myLoki

Reaction score
AHHHHHHH!!!!! OK! I got home from going out with a friend about an hour and a half ago. When I went into my room, I caught Lily humping Loki's head!!! :shock: She has NEVER done this before. Loki didn't seem to care for it. He ran away but she would chase him. He never growled or tried to bite and neither did she. She just kept insisting on humping him!!! :( I took my baby out and had him on my bed with me for about an hour. We just cuddled and he fell asleep for a little while. I just put him back in and she started grooming. She's still at it right now and has not tried to hump him again.

What do you guys think this means? I think I might have to build another cage and separate them if this continues. I don't want Loki to snap and injure Lily. I wasn't planning on fixing Lily until September when I get my first paycheck but I may have to spring and have it done sooner. She isn't cage agressive at all. I'm not sure what to do. :(

t.

Well, I just finised building the emergency NIC cage. Lily started humping Loki again and I didn't want to take any chances. I've put Loki in the new cage because he has better litter habits. He's just sitting in his litterbox looking somewhat lonely. :( My poor baby. I don't know what to do guys!!! Help!

t.

Lily wants to breed and she wants to breed NOW...that is what she is telling him. Since she's now about 5 months old, I'm surprised its taken her this long.

But that is what she's trying to tell him (and you). If you were to check her privates you would probably see them be a bright red or very pink and swollen and damp...

Peg

What do you think I should do Peg? I have them across the room from each other. They're both sitting in their cages placidly. She's not agressive towards me at all. She wasn't really agressive towards Loki either. Nor him towards her. I'm really in unfamiliar territory here. :(

t.

Pebble and Ebony hump each other occasionally, for dominance I believe. It's never caused a problem, the other rarely reacts at all, just a bit embarrassing for me.:blushan: I've never evenconsidered separating them because of that through.:?

Michaela makes a good point.

Humping can be for dominance (particularly in 'fixed' rabbits), and provided both bunnies tolerate it, then that shouldn't be a problem.

But equally it can be because she wants to breed, and it is clearly unsettling Loki.

So it might be dominance related and that won't go away even if she is spayed because they still will wrestle for dominance between the two of them.

If it's only humping, no aggression, I would leave them together.

Wildfire would hump the boys at least once a day to remind them she was boss. They never seemed to mind, either sat still or ran away.

I also bonded a freshly neutered boy to a spayed girl. He was still pretty frisky and humped her all the time. She didn't really care, and when she got fed up she would hop away.

As long as there is no fur pulling or nipping, I don't see anything wrong with humping.

I would schedule Lily for a spay as soon as possible, but I don't feel it's necessary to seperate unless one is getting super stressed or nipping is occuring.

--Dawn

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!

I just put them back together and Lily ran over to Loki and started grooming him. It was really sweet. I think they missed each other. I have them in a big pen right now and am just supervising.

I have Lily's spay tentatively scheduled for September when my first paycheck rolls around. I have the money to do it now but I would rather save it for an emergency. Hopefully they don't become agressive towards one another.

t.

Latest posts

Back