Carpet Eater!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
Dillan lives in her NIC with linolium tiles on the bottom floor and cardboard with fleece over it on the top floor. I gate off an area about 4 1/2 foot by 3 1/2 foot extra to her cage each day for 2-6 hours or so. It is just my bare ugly green carpet. Today I went in and she had been, at least, digging it up. I do not know if she ate any but I am begining to think she did! She has a bowl with greens that she has not touched. That is not like her. She usually eats them asap after they are put in. Also, when I gave her her dry food she just ate a little and went off to sit. She even had some dry food left from thus morning, she usually does not.

So now I am worried. She is a huge pig and eats loads, yet she is not eating near as much. Should I worry? Should I get the benebac and give her some? Should I pull everything by hay? Ugg! It seems so easy and simple until it happens to your guy/gal.

Plus, I have to babysit tomarrow. That is 6 am until normally 7 pm. I usually get away once to come over and let the dogs out and feed them and do all that stuff, but school is out due to swine flu sweeping the schools so all the kids will be there. She has to start this on the worse night!

Blah *distressed and lost*

If she did eat the carpet then she will need a lot of hydration because she will need to move it through her system. Right now you are not sure that she ate it....

benebac won't help move carpet through., time and hydration .
but benebac won't hurt anything either ...

if you seriously suspect that she has a blockage you are going to need to take her to the vet and get her x-rayed; a blockage would show up if there is one.

I would try to check closer to make sure that the pieces are not still lying there.

Sorry I missed this on my earlier run through the Infirmary tonight. I agree that hydration is important, and although bene-bac won't hurt, it's probably too late to get it tonight. I'd put out a bowl of pedialyte flavored with her favorite fruit juice or something, in addition to her normal water, to see if she'll drink that. Change the litter pan so you can tell if/when she poos. If she hasn't pooed by tomorrow morning, force her to drink some pedialyte.

When I finely went to bed lastnight(some hours after posting this) she had ate almost all of her 1/4th cup dry mix and greens. There was fresh pooh, too. So maybe she filled up on hay before? Or she actually did eat the carpet and upset her stomache but then it finely felt ok enough for her to gorge again? Either way she is eating well again, and acting better. Insted of sitting in the back corner of her cage she was up top resting. I even say her play a bit with one of her hanging toys.

It is 6 AM and I am getting ready to go to babysit. I gave her her greens and a tiny bite of carrot and I will be giving her more pellet mix before I leave. She is not use to being fed at this time but I am not sure I can be here at 10.

That sounds good. It may have upset her for a little while or given her a bit of gas, but once that passed through she's feeling better.

Latest posts

Back