Can't take in another bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timetowaste

Reaction score
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880106002

Upstate rabbit sanctuary offers virtual-adoption option
Published: Sunday, January 6, 2008 - 6:50 pm

By Angie Campbell
STAFF WRITER

Caroline Gilbert wasn’t a rabbit owner when she realized the furry animals were often neglected in favor of cats and dogs as family pets.

So, almost 40 years ago, she decided to dedicate part of her 30-acre farm in Simpsonville to shelter rabbits that had been abandoned or neglected.

“I just realized that rabbits are an animal that falls through the cracks,” Gilbert said.

“People know about dogs and cats, but the rabbit isn’t considered for some reason.
It’s hard to get people to realize that just as many rabbits are euthanized and die in this cruel pet industry as do dogs and cats.”

The Rabbit Sanctuary Inc. has long since become a nonprofit organization supported by donations, volunteers and the Cleveland Amory’s Fund for Animals.

Last year, Gilbert realized the sanctuary was outgrowing its Bunny Health Care Building, so she and volunteers began raising donations to pay for a newer, bigger building to accommodate an increasing number of senior rabbits.

“We actually went ahead and built it because I needed it so desperately,” Gilbert said.
“But it really hit our budget really, really hard. We’re just squeaking by right now.”

Gilbert said when rabbits are given a proper diet and treated well, they can live between 10 and 12 years. The average lifespan of a rabbit is eight years, she said.

Patrice Pruitte of Greenville said the sanctuary is unique because Gilbert offers a permanent home for the lifespan of all rabbits accepted. Pruitte and her husband, Ron, began volunteering at the sanctuary almost 17 years ago.

“It can get very depressing reading all the e-mails from people wanting to get rid of their rabbits, knowing that we can’t help most of them,” she said. “It’s wonderful what Caroline has done. Many rabbits have lived out happy lives at her sanctuary.”

Gilbert said the sanctuary was fairly small in comparison to its need.

“Right now, we only shelter about 60, 70 rabbits, but I used to have close to 200,” she said. “You just can’t save the world, and I finally had to accept that I could really only take care of a smaller number and do a proper job of it.”

Gilbert said people can help support the organization by doing a virtual adoption on its Web site, http://www.adopt-a-rabbit.org.

“Instead of physically adopting a rabbit, you can help support one here,” she said.
Some of the rabbits currently up for virtual adoption include Camelia, the baby of a rabbit rescued from Hurricane Katrina, and Roxy, who was abandoned in a cage on a busy highway.

For $30, adopters receive photos and periodic updates of the rabbit and a year’s subscription to the sanctuary’s newsletter.

Gilbert and Pruitte said most rabbits taken in by the shelter are Easter pet throwaways.

Volunteers work year round to educate people about the pros and cons of rabbit ownership. Both agree the cons can far outweigh the pros for most owners.

“We really discourage people from getting them as pets without doing their research first,” Pruitte said. “They are not good pets for children at all. You shouldn’t feed them pellets from a pet store because they have special diet needs. They can also be very destructive around the house, and each rabbit has its own personality.”

Gilbert said people should never cage pet rabbits or turn a domestic rabbit loose because it will never survive on its own.

“That is the cruelest way to get rid of one,” she said.

She recommended people read the book “A House Rabbit Primer” by Lucille Moore or volunteer at the sanctuary before adopting rabbits.

Pruitte currently has two rabbits, Isabel and Bosco. She said the animals can make great pets if owners are dedicated and patient.

“I feel so much love and compassion for them — a real connection to them,” she said.

“Maybe it’s their quietness and gentleness and the fact that they have it so rough in a lot of ways. I feel that they are kindred spirits.”

Gilbert also encourages anyone considering adopting a rabbit to adopt from a rescue group or shelter and to spay and neuter it.

“The rabbit is struggling to win his proper place as a valued companion animal, just like a dog or cat, but it’s slow going,” she said. “The key is educating people on how to properly care for them.”

Thanks for post. A friend sent me their newsletter. Given our household and Rescue Numbers, anyone who can virtually adopt benefits the sanctuary gang. Nice to see this added in the News Wire,

Wow, what a great idea! :thumbup I'll definitely have to considering sponsoring a bunny.

Latest posts

Back