Can your Bun have TOO much Pro-Biotic?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
I know the debate is out on whether pro-biotics really help the bunnies during stasis etc. I also know that usually we mix it in with our slurrys etc. (acidophilus for example).If there a point where the bun can have too much pro-biotic?Like can giving them acidophilus on a regular basis be harmful?

I'm just thinking that we eat yogurt all the time and some contain pro-biotic, and it's ok for us. What about for a rabbit? If I were to give my rabbit something with acidophilus in it every day - like a slurry (I'm not... but just wondering how this works...), does anyone know if it would be more harmful than good?

Thoughts?

Nadia

I have no idea. I'm not a big believer in probiotics for rabbits because the bacteria species commonly used don't normally live in the rabbit's intestines. Some people swear by them, I only use them just in case.

Some companies include probiotics in their rabbit pellets, although I really doubt that they do much because the cultures are dead (no longer active).

Acidophilus can cause abdominal discomfort due to bloating, gas & cramping when given in excess or when not well tolerated by the individual.

Pam

Back