Can we talk poop???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaGirl

Reaction score
I haven't been around ina long while and I miss stopping in. As some may remember, we rescued Lola back before Christmas from someone who wasn't taking care of her very well. I am trying so hard to be the best rabbit mom I can be but I feel like I'm failing or doing something wrong.

Lola has been so good but lately I notice her poop is more coming out long. Any ideas??? Am I not giving her enough of something??? She has the little round normal balls too but I'm seeing more long ones too.

Are they one long poo or is it a string of them?

Sounds like she's got what everyone else has had lately - gut slowdown. Push the hay and more water - that should help.

Others might have more ideas, but I'm gonna move this to the infirmary to get some better attention :)

Are the long poos you're talking about more oblong than spherical? It seems to be the season for molt-inspired GI slowdowns, as BBB said. I got a bunch of Bene-Bac from the dog medicine section of PetSmart a week or two ago and I've been dosing it whenever my guys have weird poos or eat something they're not supposed to (little boogers ATE a HOLE in my backpack to get at an apple that was in there :X). It promotes the growth of beneficial GI bacteria.

Other things to do than push hay and water are to add some canned pumpkin to the diet and make sure she's getting exercise. You can push hay by cutting back on pellets a tiny bit, offering a new type (orchard and oat are big faves), or putting it in toys (toilet paper tube). You can push water by adding a drop of vanilla or tiny bit of fruit juice (go easy on the juice b/c if carbs). Also, reduce carb-y treats as they contribute to slowdown.

Brushing is good too to keep it out of their systems. Little Benjamin has been looking awfully scruffy and had a string of 5 or so stuck together with hair this morning, so hopefully the bf will finally brush him!

good luck

tonyshuman wrote:
Are the long poos you're talking about more oblong than spherical? It seems to be the season for molt-inspired GI slowdowns, as BBB said. I got a bunch of Bene-Bac from the dog medicine section of PetSmart a week or two ago and I've been dosing it whenever my guys have weird poos or eat something they're not supposed to (little boogers ATE a HOLE in my backpack to get at an apple that was in there :X). It promotes the growth of beneficial GI bacteria.

Other things to do than push hay and water are to add some canned pumpkin to the diet and make sure she's getting exercise. You can push hay by cutting back on pellets a tiny bit, offering a new type (orchard and oat are big faves), or putting it in toys (toilet paper tube). You can push water by adding a drop of vanilla or tiny bit of fruit juice (go easy on the juice b/c if carbs). Also, reduce carb-y treats as they contribute to slowdown.

Brushing is good too to keep it out of their systems. Little Benjamin has been looking awfully scruffy and had a string of 5 or so stuck together with hair this morning, so hopefully the bf will finally brush him!

good luck

We are wishing the best for Lola.:hug: Keep us posted!

This is a great post! Thanks Tonyshuman! Just had to say.;)

The reason I say this is because we've heard it tons of times, right? Push hay, less pellets and most water you can push. Sometimes, you may forget, oh, I should have used pumpkin too, or whatever.:(

We try to retain everything! (Well, you can't, least I can't, not as well, haha.) I had a doctor refer to books while seeing him. So, sometimes, books come in quite handy (as well as net forums such as this complete with health vids!):D

You can't remember every symptom to every possible problem. So, print out that text, keep it for yourself and maybe, print it out for local vets. Alot of them "don't do" rabbits:(:?.

~Sorry, I just felt like putting that message out.~ Still a little upset about Angel and just want everyone to be aware.;)

(Just another reason we co-exist here at this wonderful place. We can all give our experiences, our battles won with our buns, :D)

WOW I love this place!!! OMG Lola is shedding something awful right now. That was going to be my next question on here. lol I was really getting worried that I wasn't giving her enough of something or maybe too much of something. So they shed with season???
I'm almost positive after reading this that its due to the fur. I mean I am cleaning her cage daily of all the fur coming off her. She's a big girl too.
I will be sure to push more hay and back off the the pellets. About how long does this slow down last do you think??

We're going through shed season; here at my house also.

it is good to brush her daily to get the most amount of fur off her (that is less for her togroom off herself)
You can also add some apple juice to her water bowl toflavor her water to keep her drinking a lot
if she normally gets veggies wash them as always but give them to her wetter than usual

also plenty of hay
if thefur is passing through that is OK but last week one of mine had "string of dried out pearl poops " so I also gave pedialyte and fresh pineapple juice per syringe.

The object is to keep the fur passing through moist and moving

hay! good to see ya lol summer has these to.....dont know what they are from...hope your bunn gets better soon!

Yep, this is the start of crazy annoying molt season.:nasty: If you haven't had your bun more than a year or two, you might not haVe seen this and it gets worse. The amount of hair that comes off in some breeds, likeour Holland Lop, is insane.:shock:

I swear when Tony binkies you see little hairs flying off of him all over the place in a little orange cloud!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I swear when Tony binkies you see little hairs flying off of him all over the place in a little orange cloud!

:roflmao:

HAHA! I justabout died laghing......I can imagine this lol

Latest posts

Back