Can her ears unlop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleandThumper

Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently got a almost 3 month old mini rex/mini lop bun! When I got my bun her ears were both lopped, and it's been like that for almost a week but today one ear started sticking up. It hasn't went back down. Is it possible that her ear unlopped itself or will it go back to the way it was

It could... whether a rabbit's ears lop has to do with their crown, which is cartilage... I've heard of rabbits' ears finally lopping properly when they're as old as around a year. Some rabbits do have permanent airplane ears, though (like my Normie... so adorable!).

When I first got Kiwi (shes a lop), her ears were straight up. She was 8 weeks old. It took months for her ears to finally lop. I didnt think they would. At one point, one was up, & the other was down. Papaya, (hes also a lop), I got him when he was about 10 weeks old. His ears were airplane ears, & they mostly still are! Sometimes they will come down, but for the most part, he just looks like hes ready for take off lol. Either way, both my bunnies are adorable with their irregular ears :)

She is still young and developing. While most lops will be lopped by 3 months, some take longer. It can take a few months before they are more adult and until then, they are changing a fair bit.
Give her until she is around 6 months to see how she develops. Most rabbits are full grown around that age.

Clementine came to me with both ears lopped, but yesterday one of her ears got stuck up and wouldn't come down for a while. :p She got it to sit back down eventually!

I don't think ears can unlop! Once the crown has developed, the ears will be pushed sideways and dropped, they will never be permanently upright again. In your bun's case, it seems that her crown is not yet (or may never be) fully developed, causing her to retain some ear control - so she can choose to put her ear up or down as she pleases!

Latest posts

Back