Can (Certain) Pellets Cause Gas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Is it possible for a bun beunableto digest a certain type/brand of pellet (causing gas, or food, build-up in the stomach)? And can such a build-up occur slowly, so that the symptoms don't result until 1-2 weeks' later?

My vet and I wonder if my bun's recent overly-full/distended stomach resulted from Oxbow's BB/T. Pink's digestive tract has always been loud after eating them--even when it wasa small ratio of them mixed with his former (alfalfa-based) pellets.

Permy vet's suggestion, I tried (a third time) to re-introduce the BB/T.(His gut quieted theprevious two times that I took him offthem for 4-5 days'.) I started with 1/2 Tbsp. and got him up to 1 Tbsp. His gut remained loud, but he also remained active/hungry/thirsty.

So I don't know if a build-up of shed fur, the pellets, or even a bacterial imbalance, is the cause....:(

Thank you,

Jenk

I think that certain pellets can cause gas but not usually a product with high quality ingredients in the right proportions

My buns hate oxbow BBT ( Except Beau who eats a slurry of oxbow BBt and critical care ) and the rest eat kaytee which is poorer quality but at least they eat it

Beau cannot eat hay or greens so i don't want to feed him any more protein as he eats too much of it anyway

Why don't you try these

http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/pel_rabtimothy.html

Iknow that you will say that with the shipping cost it is just more money that isspent on rabbits but if he does well on them it is less vet visits.
if I had a rabbit that had all these problems with a good timothy pellet I would have no qualms whatsoever on allowing them to be on a good alfalfa pellet in a limited amount even if it is an adult rabbit unless the rabbit had kidney issues

none whatsoever...
we feed such small amounts anyway
Merry Christmas :D
Maureen

angieluv wrote:
if I had a rabbit that had all these problems with a good timothy pellet I would have no qualms whatsoever on allowing them to be on a good alfalfa pellet in a limited amount even if it is an adult rabbit unless the rabbit had kidney issues
The problem is that he had an excessive amount of calcium deposits--essentially sludge or early sludge--while on the alfalfa-based Purina pellets that the shelter had fed him; that's why the vet wanted him switched over to timothy-based pellets shortly after I adopted him.

I'm not sure what move to make, lest I cause him pain and/or bladder sludge. :?
Merry Christmas! :D

Jenk wrote:
angieluv wrote:
The problem is that he had an excessive amount of calcium deposits--essentially sludge or early sludge--while on the alfalfa-based Purina pellets that the shelter had fed him; that's why the vet wanted him switched over to timothy-based pellets shortly after I adopted him.

I'm not sure what move to make, lest I cause him pain and/or bladder sludge. :?
Merry Christmas! :D
I forgot about the sludge :(

angieluv wrote:
Iknow that you will say that with the shipping cost it is just more money that isspent on rabbits but if he does well on them it is less vet visits.
That's actually a great price for 50 lbs. of pellets. With shipping, it is less than I just paid to order 25 lbs. of APD ( $47 for 50 lbs. Sweetmeadows vs. $52 for 25 lbs. APD). I am so tempted to try it, but I have had such wonderful results with all of my buns on APD, I'm afraid to switch them.

I wonder if a natural diet more than a pellet diet might help your bunny, Jenk?

bo can't take the natural stuff, but Clover actually needs it or she gets small poops. Tony could eat horse chow and be fine I think!

Oxbow has been really good for all three of mine but they only get a small amount (as directed)... yesterday Lexi had given Bo some extra pellets at dinner and he didn't eat them. LOL!

slavetoabunny wrote:
...I have had such wonderful results with all of my buns on APD, I'm afraid to switch them.
Do I continue feeding him 1 Tbsp./day to see if this happens again? Or do I take him off Oxbow pellets (for the third time) and see if 4-5 days' on hay/greens quiets his gut?

We're going to a wedding tomorrow afternoon/evening and will be gone all day this Sunday for a one-day trip to MI (to see Hubby's family for Xmas). I'm worried about him having a problem from the pellets while we'regone.

I wish I knew if it's thepellets causing this issue....

I spent six days' mostly apart from the bunswhile helping my father-in-law lay our flooring. When we'd finished, I saw that Pink was shedding heavily. :( About 24-36 hours' afterward (late Sunday night), his tummy bloated.

Pink alsogot a dose of Revolution Sunday evening.Several times, hescratched at the application area and licked his foot. I thought maybe he ingested some, and it brought on the sudden bloat/stasis; the vet said that shouldn't be the case.

His gut has always been very gurgly on Oxbow. (It quietedwhen I fed him hay only for 4-5 days' to test things.) So maybe he'd beenbuilding up gas for the last two weeks'...but from1 Tbsp./day???Is that really possible???:banghead

His gut was still very loud/gurgly last night. (I'dcontinued feeding himOxbow pellets through yesterday.) Or could his gut also be loud because it's still reacting from the treatment regimen (esp. sub-Qs that he gut Monday and Tuesday evening)? :huh

I'm back to feeling scared aboutfeeding him any pellets, but I don't want him getting too thin on hay/greens. I need to go back to work after the New Year;Ican't stand to be fretting over whether or not he's going into stasis over something simple that he's eaten. :tears2: He's supposed to be an "easy" breed in terms of these issues, so what the heck?!?!?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I wonder if a natural diet more than a pellet diet might help your bunny, Jenk?
He started feeling thinner when I had him on hay/greens only. He actually dropped some weight (at a time when he should still be gaining).

Granted, he's not eating many greens right now; I was in the process of still slowly re-introducing them (he'd been fed them at the shelter) while very slowly re-introducing the Oxbow pellets (for the third time).

I do everything by the book and still get burned. I'm a reasonably intelligent person. But this rabbit diet thing apparently has me beaten.... :(

Back