Callous on feet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggers3

Reaction score
i took my rabbit to the vet for a checkup and henoticed that theres callouses on my rabbits feet and suggest i put moreshavings inmy rabbit'scage i have been doing that lately buthe continues pushing em to the side and sits there.I forgotto ask the vethow long do they usually last. If you know anyinfo on this let me know cuz i tried googling it but found nothing.

any other suggestions or info i need to know?

Thank you

Theyre usually called Sore Hocks.Check outour resource center for more info:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11953&forum_id=10

Are they open sores or more of a callous? If theyre hard like a callousI wouldnt worry too much. You can always try something like Desitindiaper cream to help heal them.

Also, what kind of litter are you using? If its cedar shavings I wouldswitch to something like yesterdays news or woody pet. Cedar isnt goodfor bunnies. Also, it is a wire bottom floor? That could be causingproblems as well...

its npot a wire cage its just the usual plastic ones and ive been using aspen and thanks for the link

You could try putting something soft on thebottom of the cage such as a fleecy blanket or vet bed? They are lovelyand soft so should stop your bun getting sore hocks and is a lot lessmessy than wood shavings!

It might, but as long as it's not open bleedingwounds you shouldn't worry too much about it. Berri has sore hocks thatjust won't go away no matter what i try:?

domino has sore hocks that im not sure how theygot there but are just sort of scabbed over also dont go away like iguess berris:disgust:

Berris are scabs too.I'm not sure, but it looks to me like fur couldn't actually grow on them:?

But rexes have so little fur on their feet anyways, it amazes me how big Pebble and Ebony's feet look compared to Berri's lol:D

Michaela:brownbunny

same with me i dont think fur could grow on dominos feet but im not sure if he is a rex or not

Does the fur feel like velvet? If it does thenhe probably is, IMO rex furis one of the nicest feelingthings in the world!

I supposed i just assumed he was a rex because it's so common in them:embarrassed:Sorry!

Maybe he's got some rex in him and the fur on the bottom of his feet is fine?!:ponder:

Don't worry, other breeds get it too anyway, it's just most common in rexes and mini rexes.:)

its just red and scabbed over, when the vet wastouching em he wasn;t in pain when i inspect it and push the fur awayto look at em carefully he doesnt seem to mind

Back