California Shows - Rohnert Park & Oakdale

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
I've never been to a show but thinking aboutattending one with the family. What usually happens in ashow? If the show starts at 8:30AM does it mean that it isfinished by lunch time or afternoon? I've looked at thefliers but there are no indication of how long does the showlast. I don't want to just show up and look like fool.

Anybody going to the above shows this month?

Thanks!

Most one-day weekend shows are double shows-meaning there are two Open (non-youth) shows and usually also one youthshow. The first Open show (A) and youth will start at 8:30, per theflier, and go until finished. This length of time depends on numbersbeing shown. Around here (FL) that is usually until lunch time,everyone will break for lunch and then Open show B will start. Mostshow days go until around 4, and then Best in Show might take another30 minutes or so. Best in Show has to wait until all breeds havefinished showing, usually breeds like the Mini Rex and NetherlandDwarfs hold things up because they are so popular.

If you are wanting to just check out how shows go, you could jump in atany time. It isn't like sports, where everyone stops, sits and watchesthe judges. It is a crazy, hectic place with people carting bunniesback and forth to get them to the judging table. Again, depending onnumbers, there may be four or more judges going at one time. It's a lotof fun, and you'll get to see all types of breeds!

The only exception to this is cooped shows- but in my experience, those aren't that common for one-day weekend shows.

Enjoy!

The Oakdale show is a specialty show (flemishgiants). You can check out the ARBA site and get info on anyof the shows that are arba recognised. I've been tothree shows and its interesting, but wasn't at all what I thought itwould be

So...worth the trip for curiositysake? Is this similar to a dog show? I hate to showup at 11AM to look and find one or two bunnies there.

Gussy wrote:
So...worth the trip for curiosity sake? Is thissimilar to a dog show? I hate to show up at 11AM to look andfind one or two bunnies there.

If, like Calgal said, this is only a Flemish Giant specialtyshow- you will ONLY see Flemish Giants there. In my experience mostspecialty shows are held at the same time, or at least the same weekendas a normal All-breed show.

I'd go to the ARBA website(www.arba.net), or maybe it's printed onthe flyer you found and call the Show superintendent. They should beable to answer your questions about the best time to attend.

The organization of rabbit shows is similar to dog shows. But insteadof showing in rings, like the dogs do- the rabbits are shown on table.The judge is on one side of the table, the exhibitors are on the other.On the table are 'coops' where the rabbits are kept while the judge isevaluating each animal. The rabbits are brought up according to variety(depends on the breed), broken vs. solid, age, and gender. They areslowly sorted and the lower placing rabbits are taken off the table.Only the best and best opposite of sex are kept on the table for eachvariety within a breed. Once all varieties have been judged- then thejudge will re-evaluate the rabbits for Best of Breed.

Multiple breeds will be shown at one time, so it can get hectic forexhibitors with more than one breed- as they might have to keep trackof two or more tables being judged! Exhibitors usually 'camp out'around the judging area and set up chairs and their carriers, andgrooming stand. This is where every one hangs out when their rabbitsaren't on the tables.

If you are just going to observe, and want to make sure you see a large variety- I'd do a few things :

A) Attend an all-breed show.

B) Show-up around 9 to be sure to see rabbits being judged, and not catch the show during lunch time.

C) Be prepared to stand- there aren't usually sitting areas for exhibitors around the judging tables.

D) Keep an open mind, enjoy the experience and try talking to a few exhibitors who aren't actively showing at the moment.

I hope you have a great time!

Argh...I went to the site, but had the hardesttime finding anything in my area. There are pages and pagesof shows in other areas. How can I narrow the field when Idon't know what cities even remotely near me do rabbit shows???

I've tried to contact the people who are listedas responsible for the event, but have not received anyresponse. So it's not easy as it sounds to get hold ofsomeone. On one of the events, it even says it will be atsomeone's home. It doesn't matter that it's a flemish onlyshow, I just want to make sure I don't show up to an empty house at11AM. :)

It'll be a long early weekend drive to get to Oakdale at 9AM but we'll see if I can wake up that weekend.

Are you sure it is at their house - or they're giving the show secretary's address for mailing to get a show catalog/flyer?

Usually I see addresses listed for contacting the show secretary via. postal mail or phone.

Peg

Yup, it says on the flyer of the Flemish Show("Home of Lainey..."). I just got an answer back.It says the morning show starts at 8:30AM and breaks when there are nomore bunnies and the afternoon starts at 1:00PM and ends when there areno more bunnies. Sounds like the best time to show is eitherat 9AM or 1PM. I'll probably check it out.

Oakdale is a nice little community ( I livehere!! LOL) and its a pleasant drive. I love the flemishgiants, but I'm limiting myself to three breeds at the time and theyare all rare breeds. I happen to love the harlequins of anybreed so I have dutch and regular harlies, and I've just ventured intothe lilacs and will get my first litters in a couple ofweeks. They are all such wonderful buns and of course, thereare the more special buns within each variety. I have one doethat just loves me and she may become a house bun or my granddaughter'sbun. She is really a gentle and loving littledutch. Her babies are just likeher.

I've never seen a flemish before and my kidswould like to see them too. I don't think we will ever ownone because of the size. My wife and daughter would beterrified!

Fellow breeder Barbi Brown,has the most wonderful flemish. She lets many of hers havethe run of the place outside and its so much fun to see them hoppingaround! Her place is well worth a stop if you arecoming through during the week or on a Saturday when sheisn't at a show. She's in Manteca, not far off of thefreeway. Gotta look her up if you are out this way!

Latest posts

Back