Caged rabbit abandoned in roadway!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becknutt

Reaction score

Abandoned rabbit rescued from roundabout

Abandoned-rabbit-rescued-from-roundabout.3675147.jp

A BITTERLY cold baby rabbit was found dumped in the middle of a roundabout on Sunday.
The owners left the pet caged on the Standing Stane Road near Windygates with a black bin liner full of straw and a mouldy lettuce.

The bunny – named Haggis – was rescued by a Buckhaven resident and is now in the care of Christine Hamilton-Wallace in East Wemyss.

Horrified Christine (48) blasted: "The woman who found her said she was freezing and she was still cold when I got hold of her afterwards.

"I want whoever did this to have their day with the law because its sickening.

"They didn't have to just dump her. They could have taken her to the SSPCA, a pet shop or a police station and left her outside the door with a note saying they couldn't cope anymore.

"She could have died of hypothermia - because rabbits can die within 24 hours of being left out in the cold - a car could have hit her or yobs could have found her first which doesn't bear thinking about."

The Scottish SPCA branded the act as an appalling example of "blatant abandonment" and is appealing for information from the public.

Spokesperson Doreen Graham explained the welfare agency could prosecute under the new Animal Health and Welfare (Scot) Act.

She added: "Over the last few years we have seen a huge increase in the abandonment of rabbits – we currently have in excess of 20 in our Edinburgh centre.

"Had this rabbit not been found it would not have lasted the night.

"We had a similar case in Fife earlier this year, where a rabbit had been abandoned up a street alley in an indoor hutch which let rain collect.

"The rabb
it was found frozen dead in rain water. How heartless can people be?"

Luckily, Haggis has joined Christine's stock of nine rescued animals – she cares for three other rabbits, three chinchillas and a dog.

She also has a guinea pig, which was about to be thrown into the Firth of Forth.

Christine reckons Haggis is only three months old and an unwanted Christmas present.

"It's really strange," she said."Whoever did this did, at one point, care because it was a decent indoor cage with toys inside. There was even a little tin with rabbit food in it.

"Haggis is a beautiful wee thing. She's a bit jumpy still, but given time she will come round with a bit of love and care.

She added: "I intend to keep her. This stops right here with me."

Meanwhile, the SSPCA recommends people do not buy rabbits as 'first pets' and urge people with information to call on 0870 7377722.

The full article contains 451 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
Last Updated: 15 January 2008 4:44 PM

Latest posts

Back