BV went to the vet yesterday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penance

Reaction score
I recently posted about BV having an abnormal smaller looking poop, it was suggested that I feed him his hay asap which I did and his poop returned to normal ... a week later I noticed a big weight loss, tummy grumbling, less energy and finally yesterday morning I noticed that he wasn't moving at all, only lying down on his side or sitting, so off to the vet we went

I thought it might be GI Stasis but the vet did an exam and could not feel any blockage ... he was given a fluid shot because the vet said he was very dehydrated. The vet deemed it a parasitic infection and prescribed an antibiotic "enrofloxacin" to be given once a day

When we got home BV got his dose of medicine and perked up about 30 minutes later to sit up and eat his hay but the rest of the night he was out of it, he's been cut off from his lettuce and given only pumpkin seeds, hay and cheerios (he loves these) and I syringe him his water to make sure he's drinking (I'm not always around to monitor him)

This morning he looked worse, I found him on his side :/ he took his medicine and I gave him some cheerios ... what else besides the hay and seeds can I give him while he's trying to get better?

they actually shouldn't have seeds or starches (like cheerios) - you definitely want to cut those out, especially if he's having tummy troubles.

dark, leafy green veggies and lots of hay are the best things for him.

Did your vet say it was a parasitic infection or bacterial infection? Baytril would be given for a bacterial infection. If it's parasites, that can explain the weight loss, but usually a dewormer med. like panacur is given to kill the parasites, but it would depend on the parasite. If it's a tapeworm, then a different dewormer is used. Did your vet do a fecal exam and find parasite eggs in the poop? I would definitely ask your vet about it. I'd do it today, because your little bun doesn't sound like he is doing very good.

Antibiotics do nothing for parasites, so something isn't right. I would put some canned pumpkin or carrot baby food into the water you're syringing. but mainly you need to get things cleared up with the vet.

JBun wrote:
Did your vet say it was a parasitic infection or bacterial infection? Baytril would be given for a bacterial infection. If it's parasites, that can explain the weight loss, but usually a dewormer med. like panacur is given to kill the parasites, but it would depend on the parasite. If it's a tapeworm, then a different dewormer is used. Did your vet do a fecal exam and find parasite eggs in the poop? I would definitely ask your vet about it. I'd do it today, because your little bun doesn't sound like he is doing very good.
vet said parasitic after ruling out GI stasis but he didn't do a fecal exam ... the vet was honest and said that he thought my bunny had a 50/50 chance because of the state he's in :(

The vet I went to is listed in this thread http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11590&forum_id=9

It was my first time going there, my bunny has never had to go to the vet before for an illness, only when he got neutered so I can't vouch how good this vet was :/

I have pumpkin and carrots I can blend and will feed them to the bunny, I'll stop the cheerios and I gave him a dark lettuce leaf but he won't eat his hay now

Did the vet give him a dewormer med for the parasites? If it's parasites, he really needs a dewormer. Can you ask your vet about it today?

He should be on some baby colic drugs for the gas. Probably in pain. Also should be treated as a GI status if he is not eating properly. Fluids, mobility drugs and Vitamin B. The antibiotics will slow his gut down more. Also some benebac probiotics to get the intestinal floral back to normal. Did he perscribe some critical care to syringe him. Apple or cranberry juice in his water to get him drinking. He can have colic drops repeatedly to get rid of the gas.

Nutri Cal (for cats/dogs) to help him regain strenght and boost his immune system.

I'm so sorry that your bun isn't doing well. I wish I had thought to suggest checking for parasites when he had the irregular poops. It's usually a diet related problem, and that's all I thought of to suggest to you. I really hope he is ok and that he gets better :pray:

Latest posts

Back