Buttercup's Fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
My poor baby, if it's not one thing it's another.

Chris and I noticed that in the last couple of weeks Buttercup has been really been shedding. However looking at him it he doesn't look like a normal shedding. It appears that his fur is uneven and scraggly looking. It is not smooth as it use to be.

We don't know if this is a health issue or if it is because of his age. He is 10 years old.

DSC04909.jpg

DSC04913.jpg

DSC04911.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

He appears to look alot thinner than usual, we weigh him on a regular basis, his weight is normal. His appetite is VERY good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to doabout his fur

Susan

Is *almost* looks like mange (it's not, though, I'm sure of it!)

Toby's fur gets that way while shedding sometimes. He looks like a porcupine sometimes. In Toby's case, it's normal, but rare.

Do you brush him (often)? Was there a quick change in temperature? (Toby "balds" when that happens sometimes).

From my experience, it's nothing terrible. He does look a bit rough, though :(

My rabbits have had that problem. I try to brush them really good and it usually last about 2 weeks. Someone told me once that wild rabbits shed and get more hair for the winter. Not sure if that is true or not. Mine are indoors and they don't get it every year, each of them has done it once. They looked awful half of the hair was longer then the rest. It was like they just had too much hair and it was all growing at once. I would just try to brush a lot and see if it gets better in a couple weeks.

Hi Susan

Since Buttercup recently has had a lot of vet visits I would guess that he has had his blood drawn recently. I would think that any organ problems would have shown up in the lab work.

His fur doesn't look bad to me but you know what it's normally like.; it could be that his body is not absorbing all the nutrients in his food and ( maybe due to his age) and that it's reflected in his fur. just a thought..

If the lab work wasn't done it might help to get it done.

i was just looking at the section in kathy Smith's new book 'When you rabbit needs Special care" and She noted that older rabbits often have trouble being too heavy or losing weight. Someone she knows from HRS has nade a special slurry with critical care to help older buns keep weight on. you could also add additional pellets but only by a tablespoon for or so per 5 lb of rabbit.

Also good to weigh him every week

It does look like he's lost some weight, ugh, I'm not sure what that might indicate. Possibly kidney trouble? Totally not sure on this one. I wish the best for Buttercup and you all. Best bet is a vet visit!;) Maybe something else could be found.

If you don't mind my asking- what are you feeding him? I know when my rabbits get older it seems they do better on soft feeds like rolled oats or barley along with the pellets as they are most palatable.

Some animals such as horses also do better on feed that has been soaked (don't think it'd be very appetizing (sp) to a rabbit though) because they basically eat it like oatmeal and don't really feel like chewing...hah! They're all so lazy...

He gets Oxbow Timothypellets, veggies, timothy hay. We have been putting some QuakerOats and Sun Flower seeds in his pellets.

Angieluv, when he had the labwork done it was all normal. We'd never get him to eat CC slurry, we had to force feed him when he had the surgery. God I think he'd attack us if he saw and smelt the syringe coming towards him. LOL

Susan:)

If his lab work is OK then I don't think it's a health issue ..more of an age issue and since his fur is not as full he probably looks smaller.

I would weigh him regularly

Latest posts

Back