Buster's eye is really red

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momof3b1g

Reaction score
Buster has been on ointment for his left eye twice a day since Friday. Well tonight i notice its really red. Which is worse then it was. He has been still having the discharge off and on since starting the ointment. I'm worried its the ointment causing this. Should i continue or stop?

I would suggest talking to your vet. You need a referral to an Vet Ophthamologist. I'm taking my foster Abner to an Ophthamologist for a consult arranged by the regular vet.

I would also ask about an antibiotic such as Pen G. Baytril doesn't cut it.

Was he given a culture and sensitivity test to find the best antibiotic?

Did he have a head/dental xray to rule out a tooth issue or abscess?

I'm not sure how they got the Pasturella diagnosis in the first place, but it could be that because he's carrying it, they're overlooking other causes. Just something to think about.

Haley's Max is a great example (and there are many) of a bunny thought to have a persistant respiratory, nasal and/or eye infection that ended up attributable to a tooth root issue.

I'm not sure if an antibiotic (Vetrachloracin ointment, right?) can make it worse or not, hopefully Ivory, Randy or somebody more knowledgable than me can comment on that, but definitely a call to the vet is a good idea.

Hope he gets over this soon!

sas :clover:

okay, I looked it up, and I'm not a vet, but it sounds to me like it should be discontinued.

Precautions

Most susceptible bacteria will respond to chloramphenicol therapy in a few days. If improvement is not noted in this period of time, a change of therapy should be considered.
When infection is suspected as the cause of a disease process, especially in purulent or catarrhal conjunctivitis, attempts should be made to determine through susceptibility testing, which antibiotics will be effective prior to applying ophthalmic preparations.

Vetrachloracin Ophthalmic Ointment Dosage And Administration

Application of the ointment should be preceded by cleansing to remove discharge and crusts. The ointment is applied every three hours around the clock for 48 hours, after which night instillations may be omitted. A small amount of ointment should be placed in the lower conjunctival sac. Treatment should be continued for two days after the eye appears normal. Therapy for cats should not exceed 7 days.

I will call the vet as soon as i can but have to work early in the am. They said pasturella because of the symptoms and the lungs not being clear. I have too thought maybe it could be more then pasturella.

I just remembered it has been a week today since he was on the ointment. I forgot it was the other vet who gave it to him, so it was Wednesday. But she did say to do it for a week.

Umm...chloramphenicol is a very serious drug. Not much can withstand this drug. If the condition is getting worse..either it is not a bacterial infection or the bacteria is one of the few that is resistant to this drug. If this was one of those "assume pasteurella" diagnosis....we all know what "assume" means. In years past, we did assume that most infections in rabbits were due to pasteurella..but not anymore. I am not a vet, but if this were my rabbit, we would be really doing some diagnostics on what is going on. And I can tell you from experience that if it is an advanced ocular infection that an ointment alone ain't gonna fix it. It will take more.

And just wondering....did the vet instruct you to use gloves and personal protection when administering this drug?

Randy

Latest posts

Back