Bunnys had snip now what ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahbunny

Reaction score
Hi all,
My lovely buns have just gone into be neutured , found out whilst in there my two girls are one boy and one girl... thank goodness i kept them apart till now lol :headsmack

So boy fluff is spayed and so is female.. i am going to keep them in for the 10 to 14 days to heal, so my first question is , will they be ok going back to outside hutches after two weeks indoors... My next question is how long before i can bond them together , does anyone know? :nerves1
Thanks in advance..

Fluff, baby and sarah higgins :hugsquish:

It depends what the weather is like where you live. If it is cold, I wouldn't put them back out. After two weeks indoors, they will most likely start molting, plus their belly will have been shaved for the surgery. This is usually why it's best not to have outdoor buns neutered in the winter.

When to begin bonding depends on your rabbits behavior. If they have been separated til now, it's probably best to wait the 2 weeks for the female to completely heal, but you may have to wait a couple more weeks if your male is overly hormonal. Around 3-4 weeks is when the hormones settle down, and that's usually the best time to start, though you may have to wait a bit longer if he is still hump crazy :), as this will often annoy the other rabbit and can lead to fights.

oh dear, i did ask about neutering in winter and everyone said it was ok.. maybe they didnt realise they outside rabbits lol... woops.. sounds like they might be here for a few more weeks hubby will be pleased lol... i might keep them in for the 4 weeks until i bond them.. they live side by side with only bars between and often sniff each other and the boy dips his head for her to fuss... but she not licked him yet.. I will see how they heal and keep them side by side, see how the body language goes ... as i have bought them inside, and put them in large dog crates, with movable fencing around for a bit of extra room.. will they see that as their space.. what i mean is the room i am using i was going to do the bonding in, will they be territorial.. what if when i bond them, i remove all signs of the cages etc and move things around.. the carpet is covered in sheets of plastic i could wash.. could i change it enough to be neutral territory? or if they dont go in in for couple of weeks will they still remember it as their territory... sorry to confuse anyone, hope it makes sense..
xx

It takes a while for the boy to calm down. He's still going to be fertile for a few weeks yet while everything works through his system and while that won't be an issue for your now spayed female, he'll probably do a lot of sexual mounting which would be. Leaving them to heal up and calm down for a few weeks is a good idea.

They both doing ok now, they have been in for four days including today and he is healed ok, they both eating and seem happy so i am going to put them out tomorrow, then bring them in for the night and do that until i know her scar is completely solid and healed so i am happy.. i am hoping that putting them out in the day will stop them from shedding their winter coat... i might do that for two days then if she is well pop them back out with lots of hay and blankets with their heatpads.. i darent put her out straight away because their runs are muddy at the mo and i am worried she will get muck on her belly scar and get infected.. fingers crossed for them xx

Latest posts

Back