Bunny with Pneumonia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princessjo25

Reaction score
Hi
Background: 2 house bunnies, adopted after being rescued from poor conditions. Bonded well and one is generally healthy.

Our other bunny, Sweep, was diagnosed with pneumonia last year. He lost a lot of weight and spent most of his time reaching for air. After some antibiotics he started to put on weight and started to improve, back to being his mischievous self. Now & again he has been having quiet periods, when the weather changes etc. where his breathing seems to trouble him but nothing major.

Over the past few weeks though, we have noticed that he has started losing weight again, is very quiet, sitting in the corner of his cage with his head held very high. He doesn't try to get amorous with the lady bunny (one of his favourite things) and really struggles when drinking from the water bottle. He is still eating & pooping though.

I was having a cuddle with him last night and when I put him on the floor he tried to jump away like normal but his legs seemed to give way. He is clearly very weak, though I sat and gave him a bowl of water and some greens which he gobbled up. He did wander around after so he can still use his legs, just not as well as normal.

We are taking him to the vets later today and am feeling really nervous about what they will say. I don't want him to be in pain but I also want to give him a chance if I can as we love him to bits. He is such a lovely character & it breaks my heart that our other bun might lose her mate.

Has anybody else gone through this? Is there a chance we can nurse him back to health?

You will want to have him tested to determine the type of pneumonia. Bacterial? Fungal? Viral? Aspirated? etc. If it is even pneumonia. Once its determined what it actually is, will better determine the best actions to take. You will have to keep a close eye on the other bunny too. But it does sound like it could be numerous things with those symptoms. Please let us know what the vet says. In the meantime, keep him warm, well fed, and well hydrated.

How did he catch pneumonia? He's an indoor bunny and kept warm? Do outdoor rabbits have a greater risk of catching colds or pneumonia than house rabbits or would outdoor rabbits naturally have better immunity and thicker winter coats than house rabbits?

Latest posts

Back