bunny urinary tract infection or something else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I suppose this thread may belong in the Nutrition and Behavior section, but I don't get the feeling he's doing it on purpose.

Lately Rory's been peeing outside his litter box in his cage a little bit. He has NEVER done this before, but is now doing it about once or twice a week. Sometimes it's just a spot the size of a quarter, sometimes it's a puddle about 2-3 inches wide, and once it was a great big puddle. It isn't in a corner of the cage, it's usually around the middle of the cage. The surface on his 2nd and 3rd cage levels are wood so liquid on it is pretty obvious.

He's 2 1/2 years old and has been a pretty healthy guy and is not shedding. He isn't overweight or anything and his food has not changed. He's acting normally except that he occasionally poops on his 2nd and 3rd levels which he doesn't normally do. The pooping up there was actually my first indication that something was wrong with him when he went through that month long bout of stasis earlier this year.

Could this perhaps be a sign of a UTI? His litter box hasn't been stinkier than usual and he seems to be peeing the same amount. I was thinking maybe a UTI because he's only released his bladder completely the one time, usually the spots are just a little bit of pee. Oh and the pee spots don't seem to be weirdly colored or strongly scented or anything. He's drinking the same amount of water as before and out of the same bowl (which I wash of course).

It also occurred to me that he could be smelling where he'd peed before (since I don't throw the piece of wood away because of a tiny spot of pee) and going there again. I've been changing out the wood frequently. As a side note, I used to have thin carpet over the wood, but he started chewing it when he was having his gut issues earlier this year so I removed it, and he's TERRIFIED of linoleum so putting that on his upper levels is not an option. Tiles are too heavy.

Thanks for any advice!

Unless things have changed in his space and/or there's a new bunny around he has 'issues' with, it may be a UTI. I'd get him checked out ASAP. Is his bum wet at all?

My favourite flooring here is a vinyl mat that a friend used when he built my foster bunnies the most awesome pen. Easy to clean, eliminate the pee odors, and it has traction.

I'll try for pics, but my camera needs batteries.

Hope it's nothing! Nose pats for Rory...

sas :clover:

It may be a UTI or maybe he is peeing for whatever reason. :?

I would watch him a few more days and if it continues take him in..

Almost all of mine pee sometimes out of their boxes and it doesn' seem to lead to anything else but better to have it checked out if it is not his
norm'

Agreed that it sounds like it could be a UTI, especially since it seems more like he's "dribbling" than peeing outside the box.. To make sure it's not behavioral, clean up where he's gone pee with some vinegar.

Latest posts

Back