Bunny Tapeworm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexyRex

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm hoping that someone can give me an idea of what to look for in Alaska as we treat a case of tapeworms. I'll give you the back story...

Alaska has been going through a very bad moult, so last Friday I started giving her Petromalt to help with all of the hair. By Sunday, she had moving worms in her poops :shock:. I immediately freaked out and called the vet first thing on Monday morning for an appointment. I should add that I put those droppings in a baggie to take to the vet with us. She and Gixxer both were seen that afternoon. The vet did a "float" on both Alaska's and Gixxer's poop. Alaska has tapeworms, Gixxer does not. The vet was so shocked to see tapeworms like this that she took pictures of the samples that I gave her for her records. She has only seen a bunny tapeworm one other time in her career and that was when she was operating on what she thought was a tumor, turns out it was an abcess on the intestine with a tapeworm inside the abcess that had been twisting around in the intestine and caused the abcess. Bunny survived and is doing well so that's good news!

I've only had Alaska since July so the vet feels that she had this worm before I got her since they take months to develop to the stage where eggs are hatch and babies are coming out. That makes me feel a little bit better because I was feeling extremely guilty thinking that she got this parasite under my care. Here are my questions (if you stuck with me through all of that THANK YOU):

- Alaska has had this tapeworm most if not all of her life. Strangely enough, she is not anorexic and has grown some since I have had her. She weighs approx. 4.5lbs. Will she grow more after the tapeworm dies? Or has the worm possibly stunted her growth?

- Their treatment is 1/2 tablet of Droncit Monday night, and another treatment next Wednesday. She is still pooping worms, but they are all dead. My vet said that I shouldn't need to have a follow-up appointment, but I think that I should about a week after their last treatment, just to make sure everything is gone. If for nothing else but my piece of mind. What do you guys think?

If anyone else has dealt with this I would love to hear your experiences. One more thing...Alaska had a full check up in August and another one in October before her spay. Tapeworms don't show up on a fecal exam so she got a clean bill of health both times. She had started to "calm down" after her spay and I thought that was the reason why, her hormones were leaving. Turns out she was probably lethargic due to the tapeworm. I say that because she's been a holy terror the past two nights! Into everything like she was when I first brought her home. Just another reason to take note of even subtle changes in your rabbit's behavior. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post :)

I read your post through twice! I've never personally seen that my rabbits! Guess it's not too common if your vet's only seen it once before. Tape worms, in general, clear up with proper medication and disinfection. (I've been through it with my dogs.) I know you have to be fastidious about cleaning up the cage space and play area to prevent re-infection.

I don't know that a return visit would show anything right away. Her visits in August and October didn't show anything and she was obviously carrying it then... Maybe wait 3-4 months before re-testing?

Good luck with her new "burst of energy"! :biggrin2:

If memory serves (pertaining to dogs) Tape worms are transferred via fleas and poop. I recall walking around my yard and bleaching any spots our pup had pooped to try to prevent reinfection. The problem with Tape worms is that they have to cycle and they will not always show up. They more times than not are seen in the actual poop. Also, the eggs shed from the anus at night when an animal is sleeping. They are small and look like seseame seeds. They are "mobile" when first shed, but do dry up. People have thought them to look like rice. Treatment and a good cleaning all around your house should do the trick. Maybe sure to vacuum really well any area they have been, really clean sleeping areas and of course make sure if you did have any flea issue at all that all your animals are treated for it or you could possibly face reinfection.

Hope all goes well with your buns!

Thank you for the replies! This has definately been an experience for me. I've dealt with the "puppy worms" that all puppies have before they are de-wormed, but never a tapeworm!

Both of my dogs are on flea/heartworm prevention so that takes care of the flea problem. I already combed through the dogs when I found out what Alaska had just to be on the safe side. Preventative is great, but it only takes one flea. No fleas on my dogs, so that's a good thing for all concerned in my house. I have no idea where she came from before me, but I was guessing she contracted it through fleas, even though she didn't have any on her when I got her.

As for the cleaning thing. I'm planning on renting a "Carpet Doctor" to steam clean the carpets, but when should I do that? I don't want to do it too early and run the risk of eggs getting into the carpet. Same goes for the indoor/outdoor carpet inside their NIC condo. I'm going to replace that as well. She will have her second round of Droncit this coming up Wednesday, so I'm tentatively planning on cleaning the carpets in my house and replacing the carpet in their house next weekend.

Another thing I would like to add (in case anyone else goes through this) is that neither humans nor dogs (not sure about cats though) can contract this type of tapeworm. The only way that you or your dog would get infected would be if you actually ate your bunny. Also, regular fecal exams when your bun goes in for a checkup will not show if he/she has a tapeworm. They have to do a particular type of "float" to show the presence of tapeworms.

PS: Thanks for the good wishes for getting through Alaska new-found energy! She's definately full of herself now! I'm going to try to keep the destruction to a min.

As to an actual protocol, I don't remember. With Spot, I made sure to bleach the spots in the yard he pooped as soon as I knew he had them, he went on the meds (man they are pricey aren't they) and I cleaned like a freak. I also kept him kenneled at night so I knew exactly where I needed to clean. I vacuumed all my carpets constantly, washed his blankets daily and of course he was treated for fleas. While he stayed in my care we had no further issues.

Spot was a rescue I took in. When I got him, he was so covered in fleas so bad that it looked like his fur was moving. Really horrible how bad he looked. Underweight, abused..just sad all way round. He also had major allergy issues and constant problems with staph. He really was a mess. We treated the fleas, staph,..he started to gain weight and did really well over all.

As long as you vacuum the carpets, sweet and mop any hard floors, clean all sleeping areas and make sure your pups don't have flea issues you should be alright.

Simon has been ill, and since he went on meds he has perked up a lot. He has become a chewing machine. :)
Speaking of which I need to go save my wall...lol!

Good luck with everything!

Latest posts

Back