Bunny still pooing and maybe peeing in straw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tterster

Reaction score
My bunny is still pooing and peeing in her straw.I don'tknow what to do. Maybe I will get a literbox but if I put it in there, there won't be much room in her littleroom with the straw(where she sleeps). I even tried moving the strawover to the left and she is still pooing there too. Is ithopeless since she is 15 weeks old? I don't want her to be sick. Then Iread on here that it is normal for bunnies to eat their poo poo. I amso confused.

Bunnies eat certain poops because they may not beable to digest the nutrients the first time and need to get theessential nutrients after it's been digested once (I think that's howit works). Eating soiled bedding can make them sick still.

She's young and bad bathroom manners are normal for that age. She maychoose to go in another area when she's older but she always may keepyusing that one spot. I don't think anyone has been successful ingetting their rabbits to go to the bathroom in a different place thanthe one they chose originally.

The best advice I can offer is remove the soiled straw and replace it with new stuff daily.

I would get a litterbox and use litter instead ofhay. Place the hay far away from the litterbox in avoidconfusion. Of course, mistakes are going to bemade. Simply pick up the poos on the hay and put them back inthe litterbox. Eventually your bun should catch on.:)

Just to add to Lissa's.

Most rabbits do not poop completely in their litter boxes. Peoplegenerally consider themselves lucky if their rabbits pee in it all thetime and poop in it sometimes, lol.

You're right....both Lenci and Iszy and my late Angel have all pooed around their litterbox.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Just to add to Lissa's.

Most rabbits do not poop completely in their litter boxes. Peoplegenerally consider themselves lucky if their rabbits pee in it all thetime and poop in it sometimes, lol.
You know someone tried to tell me that bunnies would do both in it allthe time. Like a cat. I knew it was bull!Bunnies poo a lot, not just when they go to poo, but it seems like whenBo's excited, he'll fling a flying binky poo everywhere! LOL.

He pees in his box all the time :) but he poos in his boxMOSTLY, and then when he's sitting and eating he poos where he'ssitting, he poos all over the floor if he's playing.... I just pick itup with a tissue or vacuum it up.... or of course, the dog follows himfor the "treats!"

Latest posts

Back