Bunny SICK?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picklezon

Reaction score
my mini rex is about 12 weeks old... and he sneezes a lot.. not like a lot a lot... but close to it. And he scratches his ear, about every time he cleans himself... he also has what i think is a runny nose, and sometimes his breathing has a little whistle to it... IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH HIM? ive only had him for a week and a half!

I've moved this to The Infirmary. You should get a quick response from one of the many experienced people here. I'm afraid I have no advice to offer you, but I'll be thinking of you and your bunny.

It could be anything from allergies to Pasturella and lots in between. He'll have to be tested to know for sure. Did it just start up suddenly or has he done that the whole time?

Is the discharge from his runny nose clear? Or yellowish? Are his paws crusty (from wiping his nose?)

If it just started, are you getting to the bottom of the bag of hay or pellets where there's lots of dust? Is his litter dusty? What are you using?

Is he scratching both ears or just one?

Is his appetitegood, or at least still the same? Are his poops normal?

Hopefully somebody can give you a better idea of what's going on if they have this information.

Good luck! :clover::pray:

sas (the mini-rex lover):hearts pipp :bunnydance:, dill (the mini rex) :bunnyheart, sherry :brownbunny, radar :bunny24and darry :bunny19

Well ive only had him for a week or so.. so its been happened this whole time. And im pretty sure its clear.. but idk.. the fur below his nostrils are wet sometimes. Like now its not. His paws are fine. And no im not at the bottom of the hay or food. Idk what ear he scratches.. ill have to look at it more.

he eats a lot.. loves hay.. and his poop is usually normal.. sometimes its a lot together and mushy. thats sometimes.. it might do that because he drinks A LOT!! I mean i am always refilling his water bowl.

thanks for helping.. what are common allergies for rabbits?

It's not unusual for rabbits to show allergic reactions from dust, especially if their hay or pellets are dusty. Some have problems with household cleaners, perfumes, etc.

It doesn't sound like his nose is running, but sneezes are a concern. Especially with the whistley breathing. My Loki used to whistle when he breathed, but the vet said it was because he was so badly overweight. He's at a healthy weight now and he doesn't whistle. But a 12 week old bunny shouldn't have that problem.

Rabbits that eat a lot of dry food do tend to drink more. It's normal.:)

The mushy poops that come out together might be cecals aka night droppings which are normal. Check out this site:
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/cecals.html

If you can't find a cause for the sneezing, I'd take him in to a vet to get checked.

Latest posts

Back