Bunny Problems (I think...?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklily28

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit, Leigh Ann, for nearly fourmonths. She's great and I love her to death, but she seems to still befrightened of me somewhat. I've always been very gentle with her andhave never done anything to make her fear me. Once in awhile she'll becalm enough to let me get near her and pet her, but I still feel bad:(. What should I do?

My first bunny was very timid. So whatI did was ( and this took some time) keep him and his cage in thekitchen and limit him to that area. I sat on the ground withall the veggies and fruit that are good for rabbits and let him come tome and eat out of my hand. Like I said it tooktime. But I worked with him every night for awhile. It paid off tenfold. He was very young when I gothim. Once he learned he could trust me we were deeplybonded. He would come to me when I called him. Hewould greet me at the door when I came home. Even outside hewould come to me. He trusted me completely. I couldcarry him with me anywhere and he was very content and happy as long ashe was in my arms. Take your time and let him warm up toyou. They are timid creatures by nature.

Hi Blacklily,

I have a bunny quite like yours. I've had him for a year and 4 monthsor so. It took nearly a year for him to calm down around me and justnow is he starting to come over and climb on me and look for pats. I'drecommend just letting the bunny out of the cage (if possible) and justlaying on the floor and doing nothing. Just read something or watch TVand talk to the bunny when she comes near you. Praise her in a softvoice. But whatever you do, do not attempt to pet her yet. Give hertime, she will come around. I know how dishearting it can be, I used tofeel so bad and impatient when Spice didn't want around me.

Hi blacklily,

We've had S'more for almost a year. When we rescued her from theshelter she was in pretty bad shape. She had just had babies a fewmonth before (they were also at the shelter and one is now with us,MooShu) and had just been spayed. All of her whiskers were broken orfrayed. She was missing a toe from her front left paw and there was awound on the same leg that looked like a rubber band had been wrappedaround it. I think she and her babies had been through a traumaticexperience.

She wasn't even the bunnie that we were going to take, but we justcouldn't leave her. It was all we could do to get her in thetransporter and home to a cage. It was a least 3 months before I couldget near her. She would charge, nip, scratch, andoink anytimethat I would try do do anything in her cage. I would leave the dooropen and she would back herself into the corner and stare at me.

What happened is, she started to molt and the loose hair reallyirritated her eyes. For some reason she decided to let me clean them. Isang a lot of silly little songs and gave her bananas and raisins.Eventually she got used to me. Now when I open the cage she comes overfor a nose scratch and even comes out. She only comes out for a fewminutes and never more that a hop away from her cage. She still doesn'tlike to be handled or picked up, but we'll just keep working at it. Herbaby, MooShu, is a bit timid, too.

All in all, it will just be a matter of time before bunnie Leigh Annwarms up to you. Her background might give you an idea why. How did youget her?

Good Luck,

JimD

Lay on the floor flat and face down. Let her hop around and on you.

Encourage this with a treat (rolled oats is what I would try first) andhave a toy with you, a blankie or towel that might interesther.

Good Luck :)

Two of my rabbits are still a bit timid, eventhough I got them as babies. My rescue rabbit is the most affectionateand looooves being pet.

Abby, whom we've had since she was 8 weeks old and is now six monthsold, is just starting to really be ok with us petting her. She willcome to us willingly and licks us to no end, so I know she loves us,but we can only pet her on her own terms.

Valuran will come to us too, to give nose nudges and sniffs. He likesto "groom" my hair too. However, he bolts if we make any move to pethim. It's rare that he'll sit still to be pet.

I've come to the conclusion, with my own rabbits at least, that ageplays a certain part in it. Also, getting them altered, to calm downhormones. Abby didn't like to be pet all that much until getting herspayed. Now she is much more tolerant. Valuran the same, but it hasn'tbeen quite two weeks since his surgury, so I think he still has toomany hormones. Plus, both of them are young, with much more energy thanmy other rabbit, who is almost four.

They all respond well to treats. I know my rabbits love me and when Ilay on the floor unmoving they always come over to investigate. Theyare rabbits around me and not afraid, so I know that's a good sign. Iam hoping as time goes on, they'll become more like Chompers and rollonto their sides when I hit that good spot and click their teeth at me.

Latest posts

Back