Bunny Pottying on the Bed..PLEASE HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTHokie

Reaction score
Our 8 week old netherland bunny is an angel except for a few things...

1. He will jump up on the bed specifically to pee on one of our plush blankets..not the sheets, not any other blankets, not the pillows..the real soft plush ones in particular. why does he do this and how can I make him stop?

2. He refuses to hold still while we cut his nails..any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Some buns like to go pee on your soft things. Are these two separate incidents? If so, I'm going to add to this. I just wouldn't have him on the bed while his habits aren't the best:). If it's not litter habits nor letting go at whatever times, I would just not let him on the bed for now;).

Are you having any trouble with the regular litter behaviors at all? If you are, then, just reduce space the bun(s) have to try to get the litter habits back.

If you can clipp nails either in your lap, on a table or by wrapping in a bunny burrito maybe, that will solve part of it. How comfortable are you? How comfortable is he?

If you wait to gain more trust with him, you'll be able to cut his nails like it's nothing, really.

Just give it time. Ask tons of questions and read alot, haha.

VTHokie wrote:
Our 8 week old netherland bunny is an angel except for a few things...

1. He will jump up on the bed specifically to pee on one of our plush blankets..not the sheets, not any other blankets, not the pillows..the real soft plush ones in particular. why does he do this and how can I make him stop?

2. He refuses to hold still while we cut his nails..any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
LOL! Pipp used to do that when she was a youngin'. WIth her it was territorial. She was marking it as her's.
She got over it totally a few weeks after she was spayed.

Before that, I dealt withit by putting her litter box ON the bed in her favorite spot. Sometimes I had to make sure I had a pee-soaked kleenex in there to make sure she considered it her 'toilet'. (Bunnies tend to 'go' where they've 'gone' before. Best to totally elminate any smells using vinegar or washing ALL the linen so there's nary a whiff). Once she was accustomed to using it -- weeks later -- I moved it on to the floor, she just continued using it there and all was well. The spay cinched it.

Ultimately the best thing was always keeping the bed covered with an OLD blanket or towel. (Indeed, my whole house is covered with sheets, blankets and towels as protection against hair and claws and teeth and whatever from multiple bunnies, cats and mental patients, just whip them off when company shows up). ;)

Re: the nails, I think there's a video in the Library. Best in my experience is to sit with him, his butt against your lap, a hand firmly but gently holding hischest and pulling himclose to your body, and hold whatever part of his foot or leg seems to go over the best, and clip the tips until both of you get used to it. ;)

Good luck!Congrats on your little bundle of joy!

sas:bunnydance:

My Simon is about 8 weeks old as well and is also fond of jumping up and peeing on me and my blanket. He had not been bothering to use his litter pan at all really, but tonight it would seem he has decided he would rather pee and poo in there.
I myself did not want to have to wash my blanket every day, so I place him back on the floor whenever he jumps up and will join him there most times, but not all.
He does seem to prefer being 'up' on something so maybe he is catching on that peeing on me, means he doesn't get to sit up higher. I don't know though..I have only been a bunny mom for a week now. Just thought I would share our tidbit of it.

Good luck...

A while back, I had the same problem with Buttons. She was (and still is :D) very good with her litter box but later on, she developed this habit of peeing on my couch. She had been on the couch many months before that and she never peed on it (so i'm guessing its not a territorial thing..), its like she picked upa bad habit overnight.

i tried a few things but what finally worked for me was keeping her off the couch. i'd block it off at night so she can't go up.. after a few weeks, i let her up again and she seemed to have kicked the habit.. no more pee!! woo hoo!! *fingers crossed it stays that way*

Latest posts

Back