Bunny loves parsley, but not eating much hay???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaring Turtle

Reaction score
:? I am rabbit sitting my daughter's 2 1/2 year old lionhead, Rheaka.It has been about 2 months since she lost her husbun.This is the second day home from her stay at thevet for constipation. She will be finishing her meds tonight. On a scale of 1-5 she is still hovering below 4, stool size and quantity still on the small side. She is eating her parsley, but hardly any hay or pellets. We use Oxbox foods and just incase I bought a new bag of hay yesterday. Wondered if anyone has had a similar experience regardingher refusalto eat hay, yet eating her parsley.

Hi

It often takes awhile for a bun to get back to a normal state after stasis. I have a bun right now who is recovering and it has been going on since Wed.

It is important that he eat hay but right now eating greens is OK as you want him to continue to eat. You can wash the greens and leave them wet in order to give him more fluids

Rehydrating the bun is the most important thing that you can do post stasis. Push fluids.

I give my rabbits pedialyte(childrens electrolyte drink) per syringe and also give them several ccs of fresh squeezed pineapple juice ( not canned or processed ) often mixed with pedialyte.I give them fluids as much asI can throughout the day
I don't know if are comfortable syringing fluids or not

if not... try 'spiking" the water bowl with a small amount of apple juice mixed with the water . I often use this trick to get my buns to drink more fluids.
You can also offer a small amount of pure canned pumpkin( no pie seasoning ), some buns like it and it is high in moisture and fiber.

Isyringed pure pumpkin,Fri night and Sat morning and my bun is back to big normal poops today.
I also have been syringing fluids since I noticed both a poop and appetite decrease lastWed or Thurs
let us know how he is doing

It also sounds to me like she would benefit from some probiotic, like Bene-Bac (found at pet stores) or Probios (found at farm stores). These products encourage the good bacteria in the GI to grow, so that the population of these good bacteria is more stable. That will make it more resistant to changes that can occur, leading to stasis. A lot of times, gas or stasis will be caused by an overgrowth of the bad bacteria.

I also agree with everything angieluv said. I know my guys love unflavored pedialyte mixed with grenadine, and it really helps get their poops back to normal if they're looking a bit off.

Latest posts

Back