bunny kisses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjsara

Reaction score
Hello all, i was just lyingon the floor and lyla came up and gave me bunny kisses on my nose thendemanded i return the favor. i love her so much she always make melaugh and i was just curious about everyones first bunny kisses ortheir favorte time please share your storys i would love to hearthem

sara

Hi Sara!

I just got my first rabbit kiss about a week ago. I was so surprised! Mr. Wiggles actually stood up to give me one.

I know in his previous home he was loved and well taken care of, but hewas one of many, so it's hard to really figure out what is a new actionor what is him just getting comfortable with us. The other day I had aton of laundry to do, so I collected Mr. Wiggles, his litter box somefood and water, and a hamster play pen (that could do no more than givehim bounderies, he's so big he could step over it if he wanted, nojumping required LOL) I set him up in my bedroom and then while thingswere washing and drying I brought him up on my bed with me. He hoppedaround a bit checking things out, then he decided to get comfy next tome... he started out by laying next to me, and then every so often he'dnudge me and burrow himself further in to me.... I think that's a goodthing LOL. He's such a love bun! I wasn't expecting to get a cuddle bugwhen I got my rabbit, but he loves tosnuggle up with me :)

Megan

Hi Sara - I am still waiting for my first bunnykisses from Pernod and Perry. Although they are affectionate, and lovecuddles on the floor, they save their kisses for each other (sob!). Myfirst bunny, Fudge, used to shower me with bunny kisses and it waslovely when I came home from work and she would run up to me and lickme. I think I took them for granted as she was such a loving bunny. Imiss bunny kisses, but perhaps one day Pernod and Perry will sharetheirs with me. So pleased Lyla gave you a kiss, isn't it a lovelyfeeling - Jan

Have you tried grasping an ear, or two, betweenyour thumb and forefinger and gently stroking in an up and down motionfor bit? In the past, this technique has melted the hearts ofsome of the most hard hearted bunnies I've come across.

Might be worth atry.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Have you tried grasping an ear, or two, between your thumband forefinger and gently stroking in an up and down motion for bit?In the past, this technique has melted the hearts of some ofthe most hard hearted bunnies I've come across.

Might be worth atry.

Buck

Buck gave me this advice once and it works like a charm. Suddenly rabbits that play hard to get are putty in your hands.

My rabbit Pauly was Mr. Lover Man from the moment he came home.Sometimes he'll just walk by stand on our knees and just give us one"peck" as he passes through. I love it. Even when he was a baby he wasa bit demanding with the lovins. If we stop petting him for a secondhe'll reluctantly lick our hands for a second and then stop as if tosay "alright this oughta' hold you over, now get back to petting me".

Mella on the other hand rarely kisses our faces, but is happy to lickour pant legs and our pillows and couch. She also loves to chew ourhair. She might need a bigger dose of ear rubs.

Here's a pic of Pauly as a baby giving his Daddy kisses

Buck Jones wrote:
Have you tried grasping an ear, or two, between your thumband forefinger and gently stroking in an up and down motion for bit?In the past, this technique has melted the hearts of some ofthe most hard hearted bunnies I've come across.

Might be worth atry.

Buck

Hi Buck. I have tried this - Perry has just recently (after 18 months)started to let me rub his head/ears - we think he had been hit on thehead before we got him - and he seems to enjoy it now, though hedoesn't let anyone else touch him. Pernod really loves the ear rubbing,but tends to lick the carpet or her feet. i have been crafty and slidmy hand under her nose, but she doesn't take the hint. Hmm,perhaps I should change mysoap lol

Jan

Ladies,

I found out about the ear rubbing thing while absently-mindedly rubbingan undemonstrative bunny's ears for 45 minutes one time whileconversing with my wifeas we were sitting in theback yard.

Montie, the rabbit, lived outside 24/7, as he had done withhis previous owners(at least two) for most of his life. Atone time, he lived in a vacant lot in Philadelphia afterescaping from one owner for a period of time. We jokinglyreferred to him as our, "Junkyard Rabbit."

Ithad been fully six months before he would evenlet us touch him or pick him upwithout runningawayand, as I wrote, I was stroking his ears whiletalking. All of a sudden, hebegan lickingme, and licking me and licking! He totally melted in my arms,but it had taken, at least, 45 minutes to get that reaction.I had rubbed his ears previously, but never with that reaction.

From that point on, and for the rest of his life, Montie was MYrabbit! I could be doing anything to him, even cutting hisnails, which he definitely did not like, and he would make an effort togive me kisses. Nada for anyone else, and he could be aterror to other bunnies, but he was always smothering me with hisaffection, thereafter.

Had another rabbit who was that way, Maxie, but that's anotherstory. Montie may have been a Polish/Dutch and Maxie wasunquestionably Dutch because he had a pedigree, but I digress.

My point is, be patient, but at the same time, don't beproud! Shove your hand right underthe bun's nose,so the idea is conveyed that you want some kisses. . It seemsfor most rabbits, if you ask them how much ear rubbing is enough(?),they will respond with, "Some more!" With a little luck, youmay get the response you're looking for.

Buck

P.S. Have youaccessedhttp://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.htmlfora better general understanding of "Rabbit Speak?"

Buck Jones wrote:

Might be worth atry.

Buck

Believe me when I tell you that this definitely works! Iposted some weeks ago that I tried this on Sherman and he couldn't giveme enough kisses!!! He was VERY affectionate after that.

Thanks, Buck, once again for another 24 karat nugget of advice! :D

Here Here!

This was a wonderful gift in the form of advice......for thefirst time last night whilst in her cage, I was sitting outside of itand talking to Jade while stroking Jezebel's ears. SHE groomedme...first time ever!!! okay, so I may have had some leakage in the eyearea from pure happiness for this first-but OH JOY. When a usuallyoverly independent, mood swinging gal does that, it is BLISS.

Cher

Heh. The only time my rabbits lick my hands that much is when I'm giving them their malt-flavored hairball treatment.

I know they love me, but they've never really licked out of affection. Oh well...I'll keep working on it.

~M

Latest posts

Back