Bunny Ingesting Litter...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
What is an effective way to stop a bun from eating litter? I've been seeing my one girl, Zoe, eating "used" CareFresh litter in her sister's litter box. (We're working to bond them and so have one of each of their litter boxes in the room.) Zoe has a host of digestive problems, though; I don't suspect that urine-soaked litter will do wonders for her system. :(

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jenk

My first thought would be to put a screen over the litter.

The wood pellets I use won't harm the buns if they eat them, but Binkie will dig all of the litter out of her pan if there's not a screen/grid.
I made one from a plastic grid I had laying around.

Bass Equipment has a litter pan with a grid for around $15.

Pet_Bunny uses a piece of plastic mesh canvasfrom the craft department of most stores....very inexpensive.

I used CareFresh, but didn't like the odor control....plus I was worried about the buns eating it, too.
Once I started using wood pellets I swore that I'd never use anything else.

When Babette and Beau were younger I used to find strings of dried poop everywhere.Since I felt that I was doing everything right in terms of their care I could not understand this. One day I happened to be watching them and (lo and behold) they were sitting in their litterbox eating carefresh.
That was the end of carefresh and the begiinning of yeserdays news
They thought yesterdays news looked like a food pellet so also ate that..

Now its either wood pellets or aspen chips

Babette is now in RB but no bunny of mine ever ate the chips or wood pellets

you can place a grate over the box if you want to prevent eating litter or you can change the litter....

JimD wrote:
My first thought would be to put a screen over the litter....Pet_Bunny uses a piece of plastic mesh canvasfrom the craft department of most stores....very inexpensive.
Do you happen to know how to raise the mesh, so that it sits above the litter just enough to prevent a bun from being able to eat it?

I think that tonight, until I can make some sort of a change over this weekend, I'll put nothing but hay in Zoe's box. Hopefully, that won't confuse her. Sadly, I can't afford to use hay as litter for as much as it costs me. (I don't have the luxury of paying $6-$10 for a 60-80-lb. bale. :()

Latest posts

Back