bunny choosing to die? (resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marellderpet

Reaction score
Opal is 8 years old. She has been in consistently good health throughout her years with us, expect for one small ear infection for which she was treated at a qualified vet. For about 3 days, I have noticed that she's barely touched (if at all) her pellets or hay. When I get up each morning, she usually comes and gets a piece of walnut from me, but this morning she wasn't interested in that, either. I wonder if she's choosing not to eat because it's her time to go. I hesitate to make this an emergency, if it's just her time to die, especially since our family doesn't have much money right now, and a trip to the bunny vet would be difficult. On the other hand, we love Opal and don't want her to die of something that can be simply remedied. I believe she is still drinking water. What have been your observations about bunny deaths? -- 8 years seems to be an average life length for a pet bunny -- Thanks.

8 years is not all that old for a rabbit, but it does catagorize them as a "senior".
Some buns can live 10 - 15 years .... and some even older.

IMO, I'd take her to the vet to have her checked out.
There's a lot of things that could affect her eating (tooth problems, gas, pain from an underlying problem, etc.)

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!
:pray:

I would definitely take her to the vet. Three days is a long time for a bunny not to eat. Have you tried offering her anything other than her regular pellets and hay? Maybe some romaine lettuce?

It could be her teeth are bothering her and she can't eat. If it is her teeth the vet can trim them.

Please keep us updated

Hi, Everyone,
Thanls for the helpful responses. It was discovered that someone (not me!) put litter pellets in Opal's dish, rather than her food pellets. She immediately began to eat again, once it was food! Curiously, though, she had refused her morning walnut (something we do every day and which she usually looks forward to) on the day that I wrote. That was what made me think she was choosing not to eat.

So, all is well with Opal, and I really appreciate having a forum where people are willing to help and be supportive.

marellderpet wrote:
It was discovered that someone (not me!) put litter pellets in Opal's dish, rather than her food pellets. She immediately began to eat again, once it was food!
:foreheadsmack:

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist. ;)

I'm glad you discovered what was wrong, and that Opal is back on her feed.

JimD wrote:
marellderpet wrote:
It was discovered that someone (not me!) put litter pellets in Opal's dish, rather than her food pellets. She immediately began to eat again, once it was food!
:foreheadsmack:

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist. ;)

I'm glad you discovered what was wrong, and that Opal is back on her feed.
:yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back