bunny bloated

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bun Miley is bloated tonight. Her and her sister are 4 month old californians and are about 6 1/2 pounds. They are on about one and a half cups a day of alfalfa pellets and about two cups of leafy greens, also free choice timothy/orchard grass. They get fed twice a day. This morning I decided to see if they liked green peppers and gave them each a one inch by quarter inch sliver. No seeds and ripped out the ribs. Only Miley ate it. Noticed today she just wasnt looking right, but was still eating hay normally. She was laying flat on her stomach alot. Tonight I got back from dinner and she growled when i tried to check her stomach and she felt very tight. So I went and got some simethicone and gaver her 1 mL of it just now. She ate her leefy greens tonight and is nibbling on pellets currently. Is there anything else I should do? Also when should I giver her another dose of simethicone? Thanks, I am very worried!:(

You can give her another ml in about an hour. In the meantime why not put some rice in a sock and microwave for about 1 min.; she may want to lay next to something warm to help her be more comfortable. Make sure the heat in the sock is evenly distributed without any hot spots and also don't force her to lie next to it.

When she allows it you can give her gentle tummy massages but if she is growling she is still too uncomfortable.

if the 2nd dose of simethicone doesn't help you can repeat 1 ml in about another hour from the second dose.

it would also help if she was moving around to help move the gas out.
If this continued for an extended period of time you may need a vet but this above described process usually works well

I give Simethicone every hour for three or four hours and then not again for at least eight hours.

Exercise and vibration therapy will also help -- put her on a running dryer or try a massaging her tummy with a massage tool or a vibrating toothbrush.

Watch for diarrhea.

I'd try to limit her to hay for a bit if possible, but if she's willing to eat and she's not re-bloating, she's probably okay.

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back