Bunny at Bedtime

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkth

Reaction score
The first day i got my rabbit I had to run around and catch it to put it back in the cage (i know they hate being chased) And she doesn't go back in on her own, and when bedtime comes, I still have to chase her around in order for her to be in the cage. How does this work out? Im pretty sure it you shouldn't have to chase and catch the rabbit to get it in the cage.

Today I needed to vaccuum and I didn't want to do it while she was out because the loud sound and the big black object running around the house would pretty much terrify her. So thats when the chasing began, which was exhausting

And i became pretty frustrated ... and sweaty.

Advice!? Help?!

To get mine to go to bed I shake a treat container or make noise with the treat bag. I would stand near the cage when you do it. If your bun comes over show them the treat and then put it in the cage so they jump in. Your bunny will learn real quick that that noise means get in your cage and you get a treat. It will take some time to train but then it will be down pat. My buns now almost trip me trying to get to their cage when I open the door where their treats are. They can hear the sound of the door opening from anywhere in the house. I have been using this routine for years and it always works for my buns.

If the bun won't come near the cage when you have a treat you may need to chase her a few times and then when she jumps in her cage shake the treats so she hears the noise and then give her a treat. She will pick up that that noise means a treat and will start to come over to you when you have one.

Another thing you can try to do is use food instead of a treat. If you give her pellets or greens at night do it and try to make sure she sees and watches you put it in her cage and hopefully she will go in there to eat and then you can close the door.

Good luck. It is frustrating to chase a rabbit around, they sure run fast and can run under stuff.

ETA: Just wanted to clarify that I wouldn't give the bunny a ton of treats. Mine usually only get one at bedtime. Depending on the treat if I can break it up into smaller pieces I will. I also use craisins and will only give 2 at bedtime. Using the food idea might be healthier since they will already get that amount anyway. But treats work best with my buns.

We have trained ours to go back into their cages for a treat. You could try finding something that your bunny likes and rewarding her for going back into the cage. Try slowly leading her back to the cage with a treat, or giving her one once you get her in the cage. It took us approximately one week of playing "follow the food bowl" to get ours to consistently go into their cages like that.

ETA: Hehe...posted the same time as Amy :)

Mine have a 'bedtime routine'. They associate a special treat that they only get at that time with bedtime. This is what I do:

(They have a cage where I have to pick them up to put them in, so your method may be a little easier if you can let them go in on their own.)

When I'm ready to put them to bed, I say 'bedtime bedtime' and they come running. I let them associate the word with a special treat that they really love. I get the treats and let them smell them in my hand, so they don't think I'm tricking them. I pick up Sasha first (she's the easy one) and tell her 'good girl' and put her in the cage and give the treat. (It's a baked treat with vegetables and apple bits--by Sunseed) Mika is next (she's the runner) and sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get her in, but for the most part they take their treats and run away to eat them.

For me, the most important thing was to give them special treats that they only associate with bedtime so I could train them with the words too. For other treat times I give them smaller treats of a different nature.

Hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!! :)

Latest posts

Back