bunny actually worked out as a holiday pet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timetowaste

Reaction score
this girl was apparently bored and decided the added responsibility of a bunny would make her life complete. glad this worked out for her in the end, but this is so not recommended!!!

tracy

http://www.reformer.com/ci_7787352?source=most_emailed

If you find yourself in need of a change...By KIM BUTTS
var requestedWidth = 0; if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; }
Saturday, December 22 It is the time of year that I become restless. The holidays are here with New Year's right around the corner, which is almost enough to remind me that I will get a "new start" soon enough. But I am still squirming at my desk a little more each day; every movement throughout my day seems a little more repetitive than the last. I find my impulsive teenage mind craving change, and the last thing I'm planning on doing is waiting. I'm not in the position to move somewhere else or repaint or get a bunch of tattoos or anything. But I did want something that still seemed like a big change, something fun that I wouldn't regret as soon as I had gone through with it. I wanted something that hops... So I bought a rabbit, naturally. I'd wanted one for a while, and now just seemed like a good time to add on the responsibility of another pet. And there is a bit of responsibility required, between satisfying her basic needs and keeping her out of trouble. I'd call it a big change.
Always the one to be original, I named the bunny Bunny. I thought it suited her well. She has mildly unusual-looking, long strawberry-blonde fur, but otherwise she pretty much looks like your
Advertisement[align=center]GetAd('tile','box','/home_article','','www.reformer.com','','null','null');
[/align]average bunny. Nutter Butter, my unfortunately named Chihuahua, is not pleased about not being the novelty in the family any more. True, a bunny seems like a pretty standard household pet, at least more so than a Chihuahua, but I should mention that Bunny is crazy. My mother keeps assuring me that rabbits are one of the most intelligent animals, but after observing Bunny I'm not sure where exactly she got that fact. Somehow, she doesn't at all recognize four cats with gleaming eyes standing in a cluster and staring as a potential threat to her well-being. Strangely, this approach has worked; now all of the cats back away whenever she hops by. And Nutter Butter is still reluctant to even look bunny straight in the eye.
I was oddly surprised that bunnies do, indeed, hop. And jump. And this one likes to also do cartwheels, somersaults, and other assorted gymnastics.
Also in Bunny's defense, she somehow taught herself how to use the dog boxes and stools that are placed all over the house (originally for the dog, but the world is basically tipped on its head nowadays). She deserves more credit than I give her in the intelligence department for sure.
Just to clarify, I don't regret my (almost impulsive) decision to get Bunny. She is also a delightful little pet in normal ways; she's cuddly and soft and all that. Her acrobatics are also quite entertaining, and you can tell she loves us/our house/our scary, scary cats, and all of the above love her too. Other than something that throws itself at you, begging you to adjust your ways, like New Year's or next semester or whatever, becoming a bunny-owner may just be the perfect change.
Kim Butts is a sophomore at Brattleboro Union High School. Her column appears monthly.

Latest posts

Back