Bunnies Who Chew on Cage Bars...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
It seems that a lot of bunnies chew on their cage bars to indicate their desire to escape their prison. Still, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any danger involved in a bun chewing on the bars themselves (e.g., ingesting paint, powder-coating, etc.)?

I can't help but think that those super-sharp teeth of theirs could easily wear down any form of cage-bar coating and possibly cause problems (even if it's a case of the rabbit then sucking on bare metal).

Thank you,

Jenk

If I remember right, someone brought this up before about the paint. It isn't an issue for us slaves, thank goodness, causes them no harm whatsoever. However, harm can be brought to those buns who chew the bars with great intent. They can break teeth:shock:. I talk to Snuff when he does it and it is very short lived. I think, at least for him, he's wanting some acknowledgement:p!

Are there actually painted or coated cages? all of mine are galvanized steel.

I did bring up the subject of carriers being painted.. lemmie see if I can find the thread.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34947&forum_id=1

Here's the thread about my bored buck..

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31841&forum_id=16&jump_to=416602#p416602

The pics are all askew... lemmie see if I can find them..

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

tn.jpg

OMG! Baxter! will constantly chew at his NIC pen or even my desk at work (mind you he's not penned in at my office)..

At home he has a mix of metal and black NIC pens and have worried that he will chew the black plastic off some of the panels or break a tooth - so far so good. There is only so much, one can do when pens are needed.

If I could train him to do as "Billy" of Ronnie and Billy Fame, does and have to pick up a piece of hay before he chews the bars,I'd at least be distracting him - but doesn't seem to be working no matter how much hay I shove into his mouth when he chews..

I agree their looking to get out or get attention - but Baxter! is like a bad 2 year old and wants to be able to roam my entire apartment without restriction, which just can't happen so he has to "lump it" for now.. sigh...

Latest posts

Back