Bunner's chin Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the Zithromax... I'll check around. (And there wasn't a prescription tag on my penicillin tube, I'll have to keep looking there, too). Meanwhile, here's a note from Randy...

ra7751 wrote:
If I remember correctly, the version of Pen available in Canada only contains Procaine...and the dosing has to be tweaked both in amounts and frequency. The pics posted on the thread look like that rabbit is in pain so analgesics are necessary. Must be a massive abscess...and this might be the one I would go in and at least aspirate to relieve pressure....something different from me isn't it?
I would also like to see this rabbit on Metacam or Banamine AND either Burpenorphine or Tramadol if at all possible. Both the NSAIDs are available as injectables which might be easier to administer and the Banamine seems to stay in the inflamed tissues longer. Buprenorphine is the best pain med...controlled drug in the US. Tramadol is not controlled here but still requires a prescription. Needs to be compounded into a suspension.

Let me know if I can help with the formularies.

Randy

Here's an older post from the much-missed AngieLuv...

angieluv wrote:
Azithrommycin (zithromax) is a great drug for bordatella. if you weigh her and look at the medirabbit chart you can determine whether she has been dosed properly . According to medirabbit azithromycin should be given 30-50 mg /kg once per day . 1 kg=2.2lb

Okay going by the information i manages to get some ibuprofien and zithromax into him. I dissolved them in water and added some vanilla extract and he swallowed it right up.

I hope it helps him. ): He's been grinding his teeth a lot lately.

Poor bunny. The Ibuprofen will at least take the edge off, but he really needs something stronger.

Can your mother lance it and relieve the pressure a bit? As Randy noted, not something that's usually recommended, but that should help with the pain.

Still looking for the penicillin info. I usually get some form of Pen G, just not sure which kind. If you have feed stores out there that sell it for livestock, might only have one kind anyway.

sas :pray:

My mum wasn't here, so I took it upon myself to lance it. I think there's a couple of 'pockets' seperating the pus in there because even after cleaning it out of the poke hole(Sterile injection needle poked in it, ouchie!) it's still a lump and quite firm. Rabbit pus stinks and it's all chunky and i dont like it. ):

That's the reason it's not recommended to do a lot of lancing. The pockets come back because the pus is so thick that it doesn't clear out very well.

In the US, we have a drug that's a mixture of Penicillin G Procaine and Penicillin G benzathine. The dosing for this is 150k units every other day for larger rabbits (>2.5kg) and 75k units every other day for smaller rabbits. It usually comes in a solution that is 300k units/mL, so it's diluted with sterile saline to make a 1mL injection.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm

However, I have heard that you only have Penicillin G Procaine available to you in Canada, so the dosing may be different. I think Randy will chime in soon on how to dose Penicillin G Procaine.

How do you inject the penecillin? Is it just under the skin?

My mother is very resistant to getting it, she says we should just try the zithromax for now.

Zithromax is a good drug for treating abscesses, but it might be good to do the combination therapy. Penicillin is injected sub-cutaneously. I would want a vet tech to show me how to do it, as injecting into the muscle by mistake is possible and can be quite painful.

I've been gone..

did you get the penicillin yet and if so what does it say on the front of the bottle

I Just reread the thread .. if your mom is an MD she should be able to get pencillin.

The long acting kind is benazthine the short acting kind is procaine.
the combo of the two is bicilln

Iknow I'm repeating what has already been said
I am wondering if your mother is able to get bicillin or the 2 kinds together from a people pharmacy in canada ; I'm not sure... if you can get human bicillin in canada?

All in all the zithromax is great but the penicillin is imporant if you can get it

like others said if not from a human pharmacy it can be bought over the counter from farm stores in one form or another.
I know this is confusing to you
Would your vet be willing to talk to Randy (ra7751) ; randy would be able to help with this a lot.........

he taught me how to do those kinds of injectionsto my rabbit and if your mom is a doctor it would be easy for her to learn and do it.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with an abscess. I know from experience that they are very difficult to treat and very very painful for the rabbit. Ive had two rabbits who had to have surgery to remove tooth root abscesses but we still treated them with the Bicillin (PenG Procaine and PenG Benzathine) and pain meds for months after the surgery.

I cannot stress enough that none of us are vets and that you really should get your rabbit to a rabbit-savvy vet who can help you through this. Surgically there might not be anything a vet can do, but they can make sure you have the correct prescriptions, dosages etc. Abscesses (in humans and animals) are very painful, especially in the mouth and he will need some stronger pain meds to get him through this. A lot of the healing in rabbits starts with taking away their pain. A rabbit savvy vet will also be able to help you find Bicillin if it is available. I dont know if the Zithromax on its own is powerful enough to kill the abscess as Ive never used it. I do know the Bicillin is very good at eradicating abscesses and its very simple to administer.

We have a few members who are located in Ontario and Im sure they would be very happy to help you find a vet close by. A lot of vets will do payment plans if you need help financially.

You seem to be doing a great job so far and I can tell you care deeply for your bunny. You definitely came to the right place!

Latest posts

Back