Building an NIC cage soon!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
Just ordered my NIC cubes from the USA, cost me $180AUD but it'll be worth it.

Just a question about the shelves:

I plan on just using grids and cable ties and putting carpet or coir mats on them as flooring, do i really need a wooden dowel or a piece of wood to support the actual shelves?

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
Can't wait for pics!
Hopefully Jadeicing will be able to help you out! She has some pretty amazing cages :)
Thanks!

I'm very excited also!

Gotta wait a couple weeks for the NIC cubes to arrive the the States!

Yes, you will need to support the shelves in some manner. Many people use dowel rods or extra grids to support the shelves. I use L-brackets, and it works great.

You have to use slightly smaller zip-ties to hold the L-bracket in place, but other wise very easy and solid. And, they are very cheap. I found mine at the hardware store for under $2 each.

Here's a picture for you:

--Dawn

I like using dowels because I prefer to have a condo sort of pen style where I can open up one whole side. It's much easier for cleaning.

Dowels help give the condo support so I can do that.

aurora369 wrote:
Yes, you will need to support the shelves in some manner. Many people use dowel rods or extra grids to support the shelves. I use L-brackets, and it works great.

You have to use slightly smaller zip-ties to hold the L-bracket in place, but other wise very easy and solid. And, they are very cheap. I found mine at the hardware store for under $2 each.

Here's a picture for you:

--Dawn
I like this idea! I think I may need to try it out as I haven't been as happy with my shelves as possible...Great idea!

I find the L-brackets work best if you put them on a seam where the NIC squares meet. That provides the best stability.

The L-brackets should also work in a pen scenario.

--Dawn

Unfortunately i've got bad news!

So hardly any sites ship from the USA internationally.

I used a 3rd party to purchase my items online in the USA and ship them to Australia as it was the cheapest and only alternative.

I ordered 4 sets of 4 NIC cubes from Bed Bath and Beyond.

I used an Australian service to ship my items to me from the USA to Australia.

They didnt provide an accurate estimation of the shipping costs, they initially estimated:

$60 USD for the cubes
$10 to ship the cubes from Bed Bath and Beyond to their USA address
$77 to ship from their USA address to me in Australia
$10 agent fee

So that totals to $157 USD for the cubes.

Two days ago i recieved an email saying their initial estimations were incorrect and that it would now cost a further $72 USD to ship the items over.

This brings my total to $229 USD for the 4 sets of NIC cubes.

I've declined this and asked for a refund, i'll lose $10 for the agent fee's and lose $20 for the combined shipping within the USA.

Total i would have lost $30 USD and gotten nothing.

Learn from this experience international buyers! Dont bother trying to buy NIC grids online and shipping them over, its way too expensive and not worth the trouble.

Now i'm presented with the issue of buying a cage big enough to house two bunnies together.

I've got a playpen i believe will be suitable for two buns, but im not sure if they'll be as comfortable as they could be.

I guess i'll worry about it more when i bond the two buns, for now it wont matter.

Have you thought about buying wood and wire and making "gates"? They would not be near as flexable as NIC grids but if you made them just over 2 foot tall and say 2 foot per gate and some how made it so they could connect together it would be pretty good. Like, you could put latches on each cage at the top and bottom and then latch them together. Then just make shelves from wood and put them in the center so they could not jump out. I wish I had a picture to explain. :/ I have homemade crappy wood and wire gates I made that I use to block off Dillan's play area, and although they do not have latches they work well for the few hours she is out.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Have you thought about buying wood and wire and making "gates"? They would not be near as flexable as NIC grids but if you made them just over 2 foot tall and say 2 foot per gate and some how made it so they could connect together it would be pretty good. Like, you could put latches on each cage at the top and bottom and then latch them together. Then just make shelves from wood and put them in the center so they could not jump out. I wish I had a picture to explain. :/ I have homemade crappy wood and wire gates I made that I use to block off Dillan's play area, and although they do not have latches they work well for the few hours she is out.
A wooden hutch has been considered and i've looked for ones to buy online but i'm yet to make that investment.

Building a wooden hutch wont happen, unfortunately im a handyman when it comes to home PC issues but not building stuff!

Not a hutch, persue, just gates that you can block off an area for them, like you do with a NIC cage basicly. Hutches are big, builky and hard to move, but gates that can be seperated would be perfect. Same ideal as the NIC, only not as handy.

What about a baby gate..I bought mine here for about 10.00 dunno if that helps, but I was just thinking about cheap and quick.

Back