Build your own bunny condo!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunsforlife

Reaction score
Well... looking at the forums, I see a lot ofpeople are concerned about costs for spoiling their bunnies rotten...so let me show you how much I spoil mine... and rather inexpensive.

But first some background...

My first bunny, Fluff died in April2001. Rightbefore Easter during my first year at college. I wasdevestated. I felt guilty because I had gone away to schooland I wasnt there to play with him. Well Easter came around,and I am against the easter bunny mentality, but I was disappointedthat I didnt get a new bunny for Easter.

Well in May, I came home for the summer and had just lost yet anotherpet fish. So off to the petstore I went. Just toget a Beta mind you. Well I can never go into a pet storewithout looking at the warm fuzzies. So I walked in and wascooing at the bunnies. This little white tri point hops overto the edge of the cage, shoves her nose as far through as she can andsticks out her tongue. I was intriguied. I satthere for about 20 minutes petting and getting licked by thatbun.

Well the owner comes over to me, hands in pockets and explains that heneeds the cage for a new batch of mini-lops coming in and the rabbit isdue to be snakefood. Well I thought he was just bluffing toget me to buy the bun. But I was surprised when he offered methe bunny for free. I was shocked. I hadntdiscussed getting another bun with my parents... and with me in schoolI thought it would be a resounding no if I asked... but I looked atthat little bun and my heart melted. So I gotGuinevere.

My parents were not pleased, but quickly grew to love the ball offluff. My mom got on the house rabbit bandwagon and said thatGuin was too little to live in Fluffs old hutch, so I should get a cagefor her inside. Well the only cage I could afford was a verysmall cage, but for a baby bunny it was big. I startedlooking around for other options. I came across a website,which sadly is no longer in service, in which the lady built a condofor her bunny for relatively cheap.

So this is how its done!

There are somethings called Stack & Rack, they are metalsquares that you can fit together to make cube shelving. Youcan find them at Target, Walmart, Staples, Office Max, Bed Bath andBeyond, CVS, and grocery stores. They are not always instock, but if you look enough they are getting to be more and morepopular (I actually had to mail order mine way back when) <ahref="Hhttp://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=105183&RN=51">Hereis what they look like</a>

Then you can get some cable ties at pretty much any home improvement store, walmart etc.

My condo is two squares wide, three squares long, and three squareshigh. I have a small addition for the baby. Thereare four floors, the other floors, one is along the length, and one isalong the width at varying positions. There are dowelssupporting the floor. Each square needs to be zipped togetherwith little cable ties in at least 3 positions on each connectingpiece. The floor can either be plexiglass which you can getat any hardware store (make sure to get measurements to have them cutit for you!) or a heavy duty cardboard. The wires are toospread out to have bunnyfeet running over them. Then get someremenant carpetting at a carpetting store (dont choose a shaggy one!)and cut it to fit. You can make the cage as tall as you'dlike, my bun LOVES the top shelf, thats her spot forsleeping. And best, you can take it apart and reconstruct itto fit in smaller spaces! I think when I built it, it costabout 80 dollars to make entirely, and it is bigger then the 400 dollarones you can get at Petco! (I think the Plexiglass was themost expensive part)
cage1.jpg

Guin posing at the door to her condo

cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg

The upstairs floors (excuse the bullets, I didnt get to cleantoday)

cage4.jpg

Guin wouldnt let me get INTO her house, she was too busy trying to kiss me.

cage5.jpg

A better view of the other floors, I really should secure those carpets!

And this last picture is Gir's baby bungalo!

We have some highly creative builders on ourforum...and now one more with you! I'll bump the thread that talksabout our cages. Here is Elf's Palace. :)

Great job on the cage... I thought you'd be interested in this idea...

S0037512_std.jpg

Staples| SKUSet Level Online Catalog Page

I use this style paper clip and clip the carpet to the cage, that wayit still comes out for easy cleaning. I put one on each end of theledge (so 2 per shelf) from the outside of the cage and it's enough tohold the carpet in place.

Great job!

Megan

I am kinda intrested in doing that if and when mybunnies can share a home. I dont have alot of space and itwould save room. The website said its 15.00 its that just forone??

Cristy

Wow, those cages are GREAT! Here is a picture ofthe cage my husband and I built for our rabbits. They LOVE the cage100%. The wire we used from Chomper's old cage (we kept Abby's cage,which they do both fit in although it's a tight squeeze, it'll come inhandy.)

guin.jpg

Its 15 dollars for enough squares to make six cubes. So thatcomes to I think 24 squares. I used 42 for the basic house,and then added another section for Gir's hidey hole. Bestthing is, you can customize it. Before I trusted Gir and Guintogether, the two cages were seperate. Girs was MUCH smaller,but he is just a baby. After theyproved they werefriends, I used a dremel tool to cut away a small opening for Gir tocome and go from the little house. Guin I found can fitthrough the hole, but she leaves Gir alone when he goes romping intoit.

I am gunna hafta go to Staples to get some of those clips! thanks for the input =)

The cage is a hodgepodge of colors because this is the second cage ihave built, and i was using the leftovers from the first onehehe. When guin moved in with my fiance, I didnt have thetime to dismantle the first cage, but luckily I had enough of thesquares to build another cage.

Guin loves her cage so much, I have to lock her out of it every day foran hour so she gets SOME excercize. But of course, thanks tothe baby, she comes out more, just to make sure I still love herhehe. And she binkies more now! Yay!

Latest posts

Back