Brr!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that last Thursday (December2nd) it actually rained! We had no snow on the ground what so ever andwas warm enough to rain. Well it snowed non-stop for 2 days thisweekend and we hit the first really cold spell of our long Canadianwinter!

Take this morning for example, it was -8*F (-22*C) when I went out tofeed my bunnies at 8:00 AM. It's now -4*F (-20*C) with a high of -2*F(-19*C) and a low of -17*F (-27*C) tonight!

My poor boys, they have to stay outside in that. :(Sure theyhave insulated boxes with straw in them, lots of food, and I changethere water pretty much every hour when I'm home, but I feel so bad.They had frost on their whiskers this morning and looked so cold.Although they were both outside of their winter boxes stretching,yesterday they didn't move from inside, so I guess thats a good sign. Ifeel so bad, poor boys. Onthe plus side, a high of 30*F(-1*C) on Friday, so that should be good enough for me to bring theboys in for my own Christmas picture sitting.

Lucky you! I'm moving east. ;)

Oh the good ol' Canadian plains, lol! I guess this is warm, in a monthwe'll have -40 (same in *C and *F) weather without windchill, lol.

We have snow on the ground, and it was -10C when I was out and about earlier Christmas shopping. Brrr!

I am digging the snow though, and hope we get some more of it. Especially for a white Christmas!

Be sure to give them some black oil sunflower seeds, Laura. They act a "hot food" for rabbits and keep them warm.

-Carolyn

I've been told NOT to give them seeds! Why is that :(

Oh, and it was 60° F here in Indiana today :D

Inside bunnies don't need seeds. They are high in fat.

My boys live outside all year around (it can get down to below-50*C/-58*Fand often does) and they can use the extra fat andthe seeds provide that.

Yeah, but I was told the seeds were dangerous forthem. :?bo eats little seeds from Casper throwingthem out..... and he might have gotten a couple of the black sunflowerseeds from GETTING INTO OUR WILD BIRD FOOD! :XLOL! he's sobad. I love him. :)

Poor you, I didn't knowbunnies could survive temperatures that cold:). It only getsup to 60 F here in Florida I don't know how cold it was today. But I domiss snow:(. When I was in New York I used to eat it:p. Do you give theseeds with or without the shells to bunnies?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Yeah, but I was told the seeds were dangerous for them....
Other bird seed might, if fact, be dangerous. I have noknowledge of that, but black sunflower seed is often recommended insmall quantities to provide fat producing energy to combat coldtemperatures for outside rabbits.

As mentioned, it is a "hot" food, high in fats, and not recommended forsummer time fare. I do dispense a bit each morning to myoutside buns on top their regular feed, as well as some oats during thewinter.

Buck

Ok, well I thought yesterday was cold, but today's worse! :shock:

I woke up this morning to -26*F/-32*C weather. I'm hoping the papersare right! It's supposed to get back up around the freezing point so itwont be so cold.

I guess perchance I should be happy with ourweather compared to you Laura...every morning I wake up to a beautifulblanket of white snow on the ground only to melt by midmorningbythe drizzly rain. If there are two citiesI miss during the winter it is Toronto and Edmonton (weird I know, butI do love the cold) Not so much the grey after-mush though :(

If you want to winter-out your little ones *ahem ahem* I have some roomhere in beautiful BC and I am sure Jaden and Jezebel would adore thecompany of their eastern Canadian brothers...

LOL

Cher

Back