Broken Toe ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
Thumper is a female mini-rex, about 5 1/2 years old.

I have noticed that Thumper seems to have one toe or toenail that may be broken. There is no blood and the toe shows normal resistance to up and down movement. Laterally when I move the nail it moves quite a bit freer than the same toe on the other foot. This gives me the impression that it's the nail, not bone that is broken. She seems a but sensitive to having the toe moved laterally but she doesn't seem to show pain when the toenail is pushed upward or downward.

I confess that I don't trim toenails as often as I should because they are black, the quick is hard to see and I fear hurtine her. However, her nails are not ridiculously long:
Left Rear Foot
http://www.bob-betts.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=14955
Right Rear Foot
http://www.bob-betts.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=14960

I know that humans often break toes and that shows up in an autopsy but the person is not aware that he ever broke a toe. I'm not sure if anything can or should be done in this case. I hate to take her to a vet only to be told that there is really nothing to be done.

( I did just trim the toenails, including the bent one)

Usagi_Chan

I just wanted to add that she is eating fine and I know many subtle signs when she is not well. She isn't showing anything is wrong at all.

Usagi_Chan

Is the nail in the picture you posted? Those nails do look pretty long, although since she's a mini-rex they'll look longer because of the short fur. It is possible for a nail to break, particularly to crack, even deep in the nail bed. If she's not in pain, there's no blood, and she seems to act normally, I wouldn't worry about it. If she were grinding her teeth or eating less, she'd need to be seen by a vet. However, all a vet really could do in this situation, even if it were a broken toe, would be to give you pain medicine. They couldn't set the bone or anything since it's so small.

Yes, the left rear foot has one toenail that is cocked off to the right in the picture. That's the one that is messed up.

From the angle it makes with the rest of the foot I have the impression that it is the toenail that is broken, not any toe bones.

I guess I'd just keep an eye on it. If she acts like she's in pain, she may need medicine. The nail may fall out eventually, as well.

Latest posts

Back