Brody in stasis....what else do I do now???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ryan and I went out to a friend's house at 8pm last night. Bunnies were fed at 6pm last night, as usual. I was showering & getting ready to leave right after the bunnies, so I didn't check on them again before I left at 8pm. We got home around 1:30am and went straight to bed. I was so tired, that I didn't get up until 10am this morning...and just laid in bed for another hour or so watching television, before getting up. I've been coming down the a cold or something, so this isn't my usual behavior.

Anyway....around 12pm I went into the animal room to give everyone fresh water & a scoop of their morning oats....when I noticed Brody was sitting under his NIC shelf (tucked into the corner). I also noticed he had a full dish of pellets, so he didn't eat his pellets last night....which is extremely unlike him, he usually scarfs them down within a half hour of them going into his dish.

So...I suspect Brody has been not feeling well for the past 24 hours. This is one reason why I hate having a bunny room....I'm not in there 24/7 to notice when something is off right away.

I gave him 0.6mL of gas meds every half hour from 12:30pm to 2:30pm. Now I am giving them every hour. I do not notice a change in Brody. He didn't struggle as much when I picked him up (he usually freaks).

I don't want to keep messing with him because I stress him out. He won't eat anything, not even all sorts of treats (strawberry, oats, cheerio, pumpkin). His tummy feels more bloated then it did around 12pm when I found him. I need to try to get some water into him, as his water dish is still full from yesterday.

Brody has gone through a little bout of stasis 2 times before, but it was really nothing serious because I caught it right in time. This time, I feel it is really serious.

What do I do now :(? I feel helpless at this point because I don't know what to do for him. There is no e-vet that sees rabbits here. My rabbit vet is open at 9am tomorrow...but I don't know if she is actually in the office tomorrow. I could try getting into my spay/neuter vet...but I really don't think they are super knowledgeable with rabbits. I will have to call both places in the morning. Hopefully I can get into see one of the vets. BUT....at that point, what can they do that I am not doing at home?

I would go to petco and/or petsmart (better hurry)and get some benebac if you don't have any and also some pedialyte (Walmart or drug store); syringe him pedilayte and also give him a doseof benebac. Have you tried to massge his tummy gently or get him to move about to dispel the gas. Sounds like he is simethiconed out so hold off on that for now.

this sounds like full blown stasis but if you keep him hydrated ; he should be ok until you get him to a vet.

if you can get some pure canned pumkkin you can syringe him some of that also since he has not eaten for awhile.

if he looks uncomfortable you can war m up a rice sock to place next to him for comfort.

Iwould guess that you already tried the wet greens...

keep us posted

angieluv wrote:
I would go to petco and/or petsmart (better hurry)and get some benebac if you don't have any and also some pedialyte (Walmart or drug store); syringe him pedilayte and also give him a doseof benebac.
What is benebac? Ryan is out with the car right now in the next town over. So, I'm hoping we can make it to Petco or PetSmart before they close.

Have you tried to massge his tummy gently or get him to move about to dispel the gas. Sounds like he is simethiconed out so hold off on that for now.
I tried to massage his tummy, but he really hates being held and fussed with....it makes him breathe really hard. He just gets very stressed. I have tried to get him to come out of his cage, but he likes to come out when he likes to come out....so it is hard. I have to pick him up to get him out, causing more stress. I will go try to get him moving more once I respond to all of this.

this sounds like full blown stasis but if you keep him hydrated ; he should be ok until you get him to a vet.
My question is....what is the vet going to do if I bring him in??

if you can get some pure canned pumkkin you can syringe him some of that also since he has not eaten for awhile.
He won't eat the pumpkin....I don't think he likes it as he has never eaten it up before when I've given it to him. I can "burrito" him and try to force it into him...but again, he stressed out a lot.

if he looks uncomfortable you can war m up a rice sock to place next to him for comfort.
I will do this now.

Iwould guess that you already tried the wet greens...
No wet greens because I do not have any...I've tried strawberries, though, which he LOVES...and he won't eat them.

keep us posted

Force feed some pedialyte if you can. Change his litter pan so you can keep an eye on his output. Take out any treats except pumpkin puree. I'd offer a dish of pedialyte flavored with grenadine or something else he might like as well. Right now, fluids are most important. If he hasn't eaten or poops and he won't let you force feed him in 24 hours, it's an emergency. I would also try to syringe feed him pumpkin and/or wettened pellets or critical care if you have it.

Force feeding may stress him out but it may also help him. Probiotic is very important as well. At the vet, they could do x-rays to look for impaction, give sub-q fluids, do other force feeding etc. I forgot the heat-that can help as well, and putting him on the dryer during the spin cycle may be good too.

........I just went and checked on him, hadn't done so in about a half hour, and he is in his litter box now (that has has to jump to get into)....looking more alert. I think he also pooped out a gross little pile of cecals because they were a bit wet, but not warm. But I assume if they were from yesterday, that they would be dried up.

Maybe off the gas meds is helping?

He still won't eat the strawberry, I offered it to him again.

Can you get wet greens like parsley ; a lot of times they will eat greens when they won't eat anything else.

Also get a fresh pineapple and squeeze the juice . give him a few ccs at a time

benebac is a probiotic which is live microorganisms naturally occuring in a rabbits' gut. The microorganisms help restablish a normal environment in the rabbits stomach and Gi tract.
it comes in small tubes for small mammals and you can also buy it in powder form and mix it with food but if he is not eating the gel tubes may be better.
The dog and cat benebac can be used for rabbits also.
also get pediialyte which is electolyte drink for infants.

the vet can take an x-ray to see what the Gi tract looks like..whether it is moving at all ..he can give sub q fluids if necessary

Sounds to me like an imbalance in bacteria, particularly in the cecum. That's why a probiotic should help a lot.

undergunfire wrote:
........I just went and checked on him, hadn't done so in about a half hour, and he is in his litter box now (that has has to jump to get into)....looking more alert. I think he also pooped out a gross little pile of cecals because they were a bit wet, but not warm. But I assume if they were from yesterday, that they would be dried up.

Maybe off the gas meds is helping?

He still won't eat the strawberry, I offered it to him again.
Didn't see this so maybe things are beginning to move but i would get the other items also as they can really help . Continuouis hydration is very important...

Thanks, guys. I am not able to get anywhere to get anything until Ryan returns home with the car. He came home earlier from a friends house, who lives around the corner, because I needed more gas meds....but now hes at band practice.

I cleaned out his litter box, so I can monitor pooping...Thank you, I didn't think about that before.

Brody did take either a drink or a sniff of his water. When I went into the animal room a few minutes ago he perked his head up to see me coming in.

I'm about to try to get water into him, hopefully I don't stress him out a lot by doing so. The last time I tired, he was breathing heavily from stress for quite a while. I have no clue how he will react at the vet's....it scares me. He HATES being handled and touched/fussed with (for the most part).

I'll keep updating. I'm doing what I can.

I know what you mean about a bunny not wanting to be handled. When my bunny was in stasis he liked the belly rubs/hand-held massagers because it helps break up the gas and can get relief. My bunny would eventually wiggle out of my hands when he had enough. Definitely, don't stress him out to much, I wonder sometimes if I did that with my bunny who I sadly lost :(

Good luck! As impossible as it seems try to be upbeat around him, bunnies pick up/respond to our moods! I really hope your bunny is okay! GOOD LUCK! :)

It's too late to go and get the stuff from Petco, but I will do it after work tomorrow because I suppose I should have it on hand.

I think Brody is doing a lot better. I was able to bunny burrito him and give about 12 droppers full of 8.0mL's of water. I also gave him more gas meds because it has been a while. He gladly took both the meds and water....and told me when he had had enough water.

He is looking more alert to me....so keep our fingers crossed that he is doing much better in the morning. I'm going to stay awake for a while longer, to be sure he is still doing good.

Uhh....I think he's fine. Let me explain, lol...

I put him on the dryer for 30 minutes while I massaged his tummy. He actually liked it...I was very surprised.

I then brought him back into the animal room to run around...well, he picked a fight with Morgan. There was some chasing, but I guess its a good thing. I got Morgan to stay over in his corner, while Brody walked around.

And then....THERE WAS POOP! WOOOOO! 3 small gross mushy "hershey kiss" type poops.

I let him run around a bit more, then got him back into his cage. Ryan came in and was talking to me....when we heard like "patting" noises.

Uhm....Brody was "full speed ahead" humping his stuffed dino. Like....really going at it. Why would he do this? I have NEVER seen him to this before. He was supposed to be sick, LOL.

Latest posts

Back