Breeding Tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
I usually pay to have it done, and just pick my buns up later. This time I am going to do it myself. I am told that rabbits are *good to go* once ever 5 days. That I should breed once in the morning and once in the evening for 5 days till it is obvious I have success.

I just did my first round, there was alot of cage chasing, holing up in the corner, and tucking of the hiney down underneath the doe,the buck fell over a couple of times, and it more or less looked like he was getting busy with their mid back area. so I am assuming it was not a successful try.

Anybody have any input?

Zin

Oh my goodness! I got such a giggle out of your description! (Wait... you pay to have your rabbits bred? :shock:)

Sounds like she isn't "ready" if she isn't lifting for him. Flip her over and check her vulva, it should be fairly red and swollen when you push gently on it. If she isn't red, she isn't ready. But if "the buck fell over a couple of times" I'm wondering if he made "contact".

Technically, they are ready to breed 18 out of 21 days. But keep in mind that this is a tough time of year to convince them of that. Shorter days, less light, makes them think it's not a good time.

You can try taking her to the buck again either later tonight or tomorrow morning. Sometimes repeated visits will put her in the mood. (I'm sure the buck will be willing!) I try to let him get her 2 or 3 times.

I, personally, do not leave them together unsupervised. There are always some that get along fine, but I've had does suddenly decide to "un-man"the guy and I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Lemmie clarify-I worked alot... AND.. the guy I used had the Grand Champion of this fair and that fair.. so I paid to breed my does to his buck..

Sounded like I was pimpin out my does for a sec..

Zin

I wouldn't recomend bringing the doe back to the buck every five days, unless you are pretty certain he hasn't gotten the job done. Once she is bred, she will probably be grouchy with him and not let him mount her, and that can lead to fights.

Latest posts

Back