Breeding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
I have a nice black Mini Rex Jr doe that I amtrying to decide whether or not to breed her. She has nice type, and avery dense coat, but she has a lot of stray white hairs. Could that besomething that she will grow out of? I want to say she is about fourmonths now, I would have to look up her birthdate to be sure. Also, ifI breed her, will those white hairs be something I will have a hardtime getting rid of in future litters? BTW, her mother is black and hersire is chin, so that might make a difference.

You might try using her in a broken breeding program, but I find the white hairs very detracting from a black MR coat.

It's possible she'll molt the hairs out, but I wouldn't count on it.

Pam

Well, the buck I was thinking to breed her toois a broken, but won't the white hairs show up in the black part of thecoat too? It's a real shame, she has really good type. But that hasbeen something that I have noticed judges tend to very much dislike ina black. Not that I can blame them, it does take away from that deepblack sort of "glow" that a good MR has.

Yes, the white hairs can indeed show up in thebroken coat, but it is far less detracting than in the solidcoat. The most important feature to concentrate onis the type - so if she has excellent type, I'd certainly considerusing her in a breeding program.

Pam

Ok, thanks. That tells me what I need to know.

Latest posts

Back