breeding netherland dwarfs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silkeman

Reaction score
hi im new to this forum and had my rabbits for about 2 years i was told they where sisters but one was a boy they had a litter of kits and only one survived his name is ringo his teath are not in line the same as his dads i gave that one away to my aunty and i dont know how but it happened again and only one survived and the baby bunnie is perfect she has a lovely coat and her teath are great i have now got her dad castrated so this wont happen again but id like to get another male netherland dwarf and try breeding itwith the baby its about a year old now

could anyone tell me why only one survived every time with the mother

thanks in advance

In order for a rabbit to be born with misaligned teeth, both parents have to carry the gene.

I would not recommend breeding these bunnies at all.

If you would like to get into breeding, look around for a responsable breeder in your area, and invest in some new stock.

Breeding is hard, and like you've already experienced, not all babies will make it. It can be heart breaking at times.

Breeding and showing rabbits is also not something that will make you money. It 's something to be done because you are trying to improve the breed, and better your herd.

So starting with rabbits that produce bad teeth will make all your rabbits carry that gene.

Please look into breeding in great detail, and join ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association), before you decide to start breeding.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back