BREED LIBRARY PROJECT: We need help of experienced breeders who "know their standards"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pamnock wrote:
Erins Rabbits wrote:
Julie, the only breed without breed specific DQs are Florida whites. xD
Holland Lops have some color DQ's listed, but they are also listed as general DQ's for all breeds (so there is nothing "technically" breed specific in the Holland standard). But you are correct - the only breed standard not listing any DQ's is the Florida White. (of course, all general DQ's apply)
I'm glad I'm not going crazy, the only DQs I could think of were color and general DQ's!

I have the Mini Rex one finished. I will send it to Megan (ShadedNight) because my computer doesn't allow copy & paste for some silly annoying reason, haha.

ETA: Still in need of some more MR pictures, though. ;) I can put one up, but does anyone else have lovely pictures they'd like to share? :p

:)

Emily

leo9lionheads wrote:
As long as you don't mind I will start on it right away.
Well - I really had wanted to do it since I bred lionheads for a while - but go ahead and do it and I'll just work on the flemish giants.

I should've done it already - and in fact - I had worked on it but because I'd been pretty close with one of the COD holders I'd hoped to add in some extra information about the history - I just haven't had a chance to go through my old emails from 4-5 years ago and make sure my information is correct.

Don't forget to add on the newest COD that was approved by ARBA in late June or early July!

Silver Star Rabbitry wrote:
The first Silver Martens were developed in the 1920's. Standard Chinchilla breeders had introduced Tan bloodlines into the breed in the hopes of improving color and pattern. This resulted in the tan pattern genes being carried on in the offspring. The Chinchilla genes affected the tan coloring causing it to turn silver. Some of the black and silver colored kits were saved and line bred. These uniquely colored rabbits were named Silver Martens in 1924 and the standards were written for the blacks and chocolates in 1927. The blues were accepted in 1929 and the sables were accepted in 1933. The first Silver Marten breed club was formed in 1927.

With their flashy appearance and calm, easy going and sometimes playful temperaments, Silver Martens are popular both as a show and pet breed.
Silver Martens are considered a medium sized rabbit and have fly back fur. They have an average weight of 6 to 9 pounds with 7 ½ pounds being the most common.
Silver Marten does make excellent mothers and foster mothers, but as with any other breed this can sometime very depending on the lines that you get them from.

Blackis the most popular variety. They should be jet black with the color going as far down the hair shaft as possible. There should be a sharp contrast between the black coloringand the silver markings. Their eyesshould bedark brown.

Blue is the second most popular variety. They should be an even dark slate blue. Their eyes should be blue-gray.

Chocolate is the third most common variety. Their color is rich dark chocolate. Their coloring is described as looking like dark semisweet chocolate rather than milk chocolate. Their eyesshould bebrown.

Sable Silver Martens are the least common variety and can almost appear to be a different breed entirely. They should be a medium sepia brown on the saddle with shading going down their sides blending into a lighter color. Their ears, face, tail, outside of the feet and lower legs should be a very dark sepia brown, nearly black, providing a distinct contrast to the body color. Correctly colored sables will be a silvery color at birth. Their eyesshould bebrown.

The silvering on a Silver Marten should appear encircling their nostrils and eyes, on the back of their ears, on their belly and as a triangle on the back on their neck between their ears. There should also be silver ticking on their feet and coming up their sides.
It is not uncommon to have a solid colored kit crop up in a Silver Marten litter.

For show purposes the Silver Marten should have a short neck with wide shoulders and well developed hind quarters. When in a show pose, they should look almost like a half of a basketball.

Rabbits246-2.jpg
Does anyone have the time to take this and edit it to fit our format and add any additional information that the format looks for that might be missing?

I don't have the time right now....even adding the national club information would be a help.

mistyjr wrote:
I would like to help with anything?? :hyper:
I want to do this but I told Art I'd be to bed about 10 minutes ago (I was falling asleep driving today)...so I have to wait on it.

Could you start another thread here called:

BREED LIBRARY PROJECT: FINAL ARTICLE SUBMISSIONS

and then copy and paste over all of the various articles - with each one having its own message (don't put them all in one message basically).

That would be a help because then we could start editing to make sure they all have the same type of information, etc.

Sorry Peg! I didnt understand this. I have asked 2 people and they dont either. I am sorry.

To help out leo9lionheads - here is what I had so far (I recovered it from my hard drive and added the newest COD information) - feel free to edit it as you want and then submit it in the other thread I've created.

[line]

Breed Slogan:

Body type: Short, Compact & well-rounded with broad shoulders & hindquarters

Fur Type: Rollback on the coat and the mane is to be wool

Appearance: Lionheads should be posed with their front feet resting lightly on the table. They should naturally have an upright stance that shows their full chest and mane.

Temperament:

History:

Health: At one time several years ago, there were reports of some seizures in lionheads. Since then, many other genetic lines have been bred into the lionheads and it is not commonly heard of for lionheads to have seizures. Gail Gibbons (prior COD holder) was tracking this a few years ago.

As a show animal: At this point in time (2010), lionheads are still in the process of being recognized. If they pass presentation during the ARBA National Convention this fall, then shows will be REQUIRED to allow the colors that passed to show as "exhibition" animals which will be unable to receive awards like Best In Show, etc.

Many clubs will allow all of the colors to show that are on any of the 8 COD holders' standards. Others will only allow the colors that passed at ARBA to show. Because of this, it is important to contact show secretaries in advance to see what they are allowing at their show.

Until the lionheads pass a presentation - clubs are not required to allow them to show at all.

As a 4-h animal:

Breeding: Because many lines have had dwarfs crossed into them, it is possible to get "peanuts" in a litter. Does can have as little as one or two babies or as many as 10 and raise them to adulthood. The average seems to be four to six babies.

Recognized Colors: Lionheads are grouped by individual color when they are shown.

I am listing colors by the COD holders in line to present lionheads:

Current COD holder followed by those in line after her:

Theresa Mueller - Black, Blue, Black Tort & REW
Dawn Guth - Black, Siamese Sable, REW, Pointed White & Smoke Pearl
Lynn Schultz - Blue Point, Chestnut Agouti, Orange & Red (on a separate COD)
Lee A. Nevills - Chocolate, Chocolate Tortoise, Lilac, Opal & Seal
Regina Mayhugh- Black Otter, Blue Otter, Chocolate Otter, Lilac Otter, Sable Marten
Anita Moore - Black, Chestnut Agouti, Chocolate Agouti, Chinchilla, Squirrel
Kim Croak - Silver Marten group (all 4 shades), Otter group (all 4 shades), Chestnut Agouti, Lilac Tort & BEW
Marilyn Stevens - Blue, Blue Tort & Sable Point

SPECIAL NOTE: Once someone gets the breed passed by passing three presentations, all COD Holders in line behind them become "color COD" holders and their COD will drop down to 2 colors each. So while at this time lionheads have 26 colors on CODs (per the lionhead club website) - that will drop dramatically once the breed passes.

Showroom Weights:

Sr. Bucks and Does: Over 6 mos. of age - 3 lbs. 12 ozs. maximum weight

Jr. Bucks and Does: Under 6 mos. of age - minimum 1 lb 10 ozs, may weigh up to 3 lbs 8 oz. May be bumped up to Senior category if above this weight limit

Breed Specific Disqualifications: Ears exceeding 3 1/2", Lack of mane, wool in the saddle area

Schedule of points: General Type - 40, Fur - 45, Color - 10, Condition - 5

Club: An official club will become recognized once the breed is recognized but the current club is:

North American Lionhead Rabbit Club (NALRC)
www.lionhead.us
$10 annual membership for single youth
$15 annual membership for single adult
$20 annual membership for 2 or more persons at one address

I a not exactly sure if this is still active or not, But I can helpcover Silver Martens andFlemish Giants. And I can do Harlequins and Rhinelanders on my own. Since these are all the breeds I raise..
I raise Mini Lops as well, but they str just a side breed. Means I'm not UTD on them, unless we need people to do them.

Dwarf Hotot Rabbit - The Eyes of the Fancy

The Dwarf Hotot is a dwarf breed of rabbit that is characterized by its pure white coat and dramatic eyebands of chocolate or black, giving the rabbit the appearance of having large, expressive eyes.

History:[/b] The Dwarf Hotot originated in Germany with breeders in East and West Germany developing different strains using Netherland Dwarfs and Blanc de Hotots. The Dwarf Hotot was officially recognized as an official breed by the ARBA in 1984.

Health: [/b]Dwarf Hotots can be a challenge to breed as they carry genes such as the dwarfing gene (lethal in 25% of the kits) and some lines may also carry the Max Factor gene which causes limb deformities. The Dwarf Hotots also have a predisposition to intestinal problems due to the genes that produce their color.

Personality: [/b]Dwarf Hotots are an energetic and inquisitive breed.

Showing/Breeding: [/b]Dwarf Hotots can be a challenge to breed, but are a breed that is very much in demand easy to sell. The mismarks are popular as pets. Their disposition has improved tremendously in recent years due to selective breeding.

Showroom weights: [/b]

Sr. Bucks & Does: maximum 3 pounds (ideal 2 ½)[/b]
Junior Bucks & Does: maximum 2 ½ pounds, minimum 1 ¼ pounds.

Coat Type: roll back

Body Type: compact

Breed Disqualifications: [/b]Dewlap, Ears over 2 ¾”, colored toenails, incomplete or heavily feathered eyebands, eye spots or marbling, wrong eye color.

American Dwarf Hotot Rabbit Club http://www.adhrc.com/

Branden.jpg

Ginger.jpg

DhototBaby1.jpg

blkdoe2.jpg

~*Midnight Moon*~ wrote:
I a not exactly sure if this is still active or not, But I can helpcover Silver Martens andFlemish Giants. And I can do Harlequins and Rhinelanders on my own. Since these are all the breeds I raise..
I raise Mini Lops as well, but they str just a side breed. Means I'm not UTD on them, unless we need people to do them.

The Rhinelanders would be great, I had said I'd do them, but I'm short on time.

Thank you!

The Belgian Hare Rabbit – The King of the Fancy

The Belgian Hare is large, regal, fine boned breed that resembles a wild hare. In the US, only the standard red coat with black ticking is showable. However, in other countries a number of other varieties are popular.

History:[/b] The Belgian Hare is one the United States original heritage breeds and has a rich history in our country since reaching our shores in 1888 from England and having originated from Flanders, Belgium. Although rather rare today, the Belgian Hare remained one of the most popular breeds in our country through the early 1900’s.
[/b]
Health: [/b]The Belgian Hare can be prone to sore hocks, joint infections, and neurological tremors.

Personality:[/b] The Belgian Hare can be an affectionate, but rather energetic breed.

Showing/Breeding: [/b]Rare on the show table, a Belgian Hare posing up and showing off its full arch type is quite a site to behold. Breeders in the US occasionally find non-showable reds in their litters. The Belgian Hares have a reputation for being difficult to breed, but are able to raise large litters. They should not be raised on wire floored cages due to their fine bone and predisposition to develop sore hocks. A limited gene pool makes breeding healthy, vigorous specimens a challenge.

Showroom weights:
[/b]
Sr. Bucks and Does: 6-9 ½ pounds. Ideal weight 8 pounds.[/b]
Jr. Bucks and Does: minimum weight 3 lbs.[/b]

[/b]Coat Type: flyback[/b]

[/b]Body Type: full arch[/b]
[/b]
[/b]Breed Disqualifications: [/b]Complete lack of ticking, eye color other than brown.

Heart2.jpg

The Checkered Giant Rabbit – The Beautiful Rabbit

The Checkered Giant is an aggressive imposing presence at shows as it stomps and runs the length of the table – assuring all eyes are drawn its way.

History:[/b] The Checkered Giant originated in France and Germany and was primarily derived from the Flemish Giant as well as French Lops and spotted rabbits. The first Checkered Giants were imported to the United States in 1910

[/b]Health: [/b]A generally hardy breed.

Personality:[/b] Aggressive – known to bite.

Showing/Breeding: [/b]Correct markings are a must, and mismarks as well as solid sports are common when breeding Checkered Giants.

Showroom weights:
[/b]
Sr. Bucks and Does: minimum weight 11 lbs.[/b]
Intermediate Bucks and Does: minimum weight 9 lbs.[/b]
Jr. Bucks and Does: minimum weight 6 lbs.[/b]

[/b]Coat Type: flyback[/b]

[/b]Body Type: full arch[/b]
[/b]
Colors: black and blue[/b]
[/b]
[/b]Breed Disqualifications: [/b]Ears less than 5 3/4 “, colored toenails, any 3 colors, any marking connection, loin marking forward of body midpoint, more than 1 stray spot forward of body midpoint, missing loin or hip marking, more than one break in spine or any break more than ¼ inch, split butterfly, white spot(s) in butterfly, strip of white on upper lip, double cheek spot, absence of cheek spot, more than one stray spot on head, markings on front legs.

Checkered1.0.jpg

TinysMom wrote:
To help out leo9lionheads - here is what I had so far (I recovered it from my hard drive and added the newest COD information) - feel free to edit it as you want and then submit it in the other thread I've created.

[line]

Breed Slogan:

Appearance: Lionheads should be posed with their front feet resting lightly on the table. They should naturally have an upright stance that shows their full chest and mane.

Temperament:

History:

Health: At one time several years ago, there were reports of some seizures in lionheads. Since then, many other genetic lines have been bred into the lionheads and it is not commonly heard of for lionheads to have seizures. Gail Gibbons (prior COD holder) was tracking this a few years ago.

As a show animal: At this point in time (2010), lionheads are still in the process of being recognized. If they pass presentation during the ARBA National Convention this fall, then shows will be REQUIRED to allow the colors that passed to show as "exhibition" animals which will be unable to receive awards like Best In Show, etc.

Many clubs will allow all of the colors to show that are on any of the 8 COD holders' standards. Others will only allow the colors that passed at ARBA to show. Because of this, it is important to contact show secretaries in advance to see what they are allowing at their show.

Until the lionheads pass a presentation - clubs are not required to allow them to show at all.

As a 4-h animal:

Breeding: Because many lines have had dwarfs crossed into them, it is possible to get "peanuts" in a litter. Does can have as little as one or two babies or as many as 10 and raise them to adulthood. The average seems to be four to six babies.

Recognized Colors: Lionheads are grouped by individual color when they are shown.

Regina Mayhugh- Black Otter, Blue Otter, Chocolate Otter, Lilac Otter, Sable Marten
Kim Croak - Silver Marten group (all 4 shades), Otter group (all 4 shades), Chestnut Agouti, Lilac Tort & BEW

SPECIAL NOTE: Once someone gets the breed passed by passing three presentations, all COD Holders in line behind them become "color COD" holders and their COD will drop down to 2 colors each. So while at this time lionheads have 26 colors on CODs (per the lionhead club website) - that will drop dramatically once the breed passes.

Showroom Weights:

Jr. Bucks and Does: Under 6 mos. of age - minimum 1 lb 10 ozs, may weigh up to 3 lbs 8 oz. May be bumped up to Senior category if above this weight limit

Breed Specific Disqualifications: Ears exceeding 3 1/2", Lack of mane, wool in the saddle area

Schedule of points: General Type - 40, Fur - 45, Color - 10, Condition - 5

Club: An official club will become recognized once the breed is recognized but the current club is:

http://www.lionhead.us
Here: I added and tweaked some things:

Breed Slogan: “The Pride of the Fancy”

Temperament: In general they are a laid back, docile breed but specimins that have recieved little to no handling can be high strung but are easily tamed down with regular handling.

History: [sub]There are many speculations of where and how the Lionheads originated from but it is known they are the first mutation since the 1930’s with the satins and originate from the European continent. They where first imported by Jo Ann Statler into Minnesota in 2000 and have since then spread through the whole US. Bob Whitman a very knowledgeable rabbit history buff spent years researching the history of Lionheads and wrote an article with what he be leaves is the true history of the Lionhead and is the most theory supported by Lionhead Breeders . Due to his death in 2009 his article has been lost online but can be found in the NALRC Guidebook and parts of it found on the NALRC website along with the history of Lionheads in America.[/sub]

Health: At one time several years ago, there were reports of some seizures in lionheads. Since then, many other genetic lines have been bred into the lionheads and it is not commonly heard of for lionheads to have seizures. Gail Gibbons (prior COD holder) was tracking this a few years ago. Since then there have been little to no health complications in Lionheads besides them being susceptible to wool block like other wool breeds.

As a show animal: At this point in time (2010), lionheads are still in the process of being recognized. If Theresa Mueller (current COD holder) passes the 1[sup]st[/sup] attempt at 1[sup]st[/sup] presentation during the ARBA National Convention this fall, then shows will be REQUIRED to allow the colors that passed to show as "exhibition" animals which will be unable to receive awards like Best In Show, etc.

Many clubs will allow all of the colors to show that are on any of the 8 COD’s. Others will only allow the colors that passed at ARBA to show. Because of this, it is important to contact show secretaries in advance to see what they are allowing at their show.

Until the Lionheads pass a presentation - clubs are not required to allow them to show at all.
Also, if you are going to show your Lionhead please remember to bring the current working standard found here: http://www.pridelandsrabbitry.com/MuellerStandardAllColors26.htm so judges will hav something to judge them by.

As a 4-h animal: If and how you are allowed to show Lionheads varies throughout the country. Some places have a breed section for them and allow them to compete for Best In Show and others will only allow them to show in mix breeds for your first year in 4-H. If you do want to show your Lionhead at fair prior to signup contact whoever is in charge for the rabbit portion of your fair and find out if and how your allowed to show your Lionhead.
Breeding: They are relatively easy to breed and make excellent mothers but because many lines have had dwarfs crossed into them, it is possible to get "peanuts" in a litter. Does can have as little as one or two babies or as many as ten and raise them with no problem. The average is three to five kits per litter.

SPECIAL NOTE: Once someone gets the breed passed by passing three presentations, all COD Holders in line behind them become "color COD" holders and their COD will drop down to 2 colors each. So while at this time Lionheads have 26 colors on CODs (per the lionhead club website) - that will drop dramatically once the breed passes.

Showroom Weights:

Breed Specific Disqualifications: Ears exceeding 3 1/2", Lack of mane, wool in the saddle area, lack of break between mane and flank wool.

Schedule of points: General Type - 40, Fur – 45 (35 mane, 10 coat), Color - 10, Condition - 5

http://www.lionhead.us

Back