breed confusion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peek-a-boo

Reaction score
for the last 9 months ive believed my boy Misty to be a Dwarf lop but over the last couple of days ive had second thoughts, hes tiny in size, his head is more circular and his ears are alot smaller then my dwarf lop Crystals im thinking maybe mini lop? or maybe hes just a small dwarf lop? hmmm any ideas?

heres a few pics

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

I have to tell you that he is absoloutely gorgeous :inlove:

I think i agree with you he does look small for a dwarf lop what does he weigh?

This is a pic of me with my dwarf lop Newbie he is 3 now they can get pretty big and a very good weight.

How do they compare size wise? Is your bun a lot smaller than this then he is more likely a mini lop

DSC00454.jpg

aww your dwarf lop is the same size as Crystal :inlove:

im not sure how much he weighs but when he was weighed at 5 months old he was 2lb (i think thats what their weighed in)i think or just a little over hes nearly 1 now and he hasnt really grown anymore since he was last weighed. im so confused lol hes roughly half the size of my dwarf lop hes so dinky lol but he came from a large litter of 6 so dont know if that will have anything to do with his size although he wasnt the runt.

i hope all that made sense lol

Did you get to see the parents when you got him? from the sounds of things he is definately a mini lop not a dwarf lop. they are a lot lighter than dwarf lops and you are right probably about half the size similar markings to my Newbie which is a broken magpie beautiful colours :Di wish i could get nethies with those markings

i never saw his parents, i rescued a baby bun from a petshop because he was ill and the people at the petshop didnt care even when i told them so i bought the baby bun he died over night sadly and the petshop refused to give me a refund only a replacement so i chose Misty he was one of 6 in the run i knew they weree all related because they were all magpies lol its strange because it was only the other week i was saying how i wanted a mini lop it seems i could already have one lol and a beautiful one at that :D

Hey Polly, that's a dwarf lop? How much does he weigh? I didn't think a dwarf would get the big. Both bunnies are very pretty, BTW, I love that coloration.

Yeah GG he is a dwarf lop got his pedigree to prove it lol he certainly is a big boy his girlfriend Misty isn't as big as him no idea what he weighs now he lives with my sister in law and i only get them back for holidays.

Its one of those things that bug me though that the pet shops sell dwarf lops and people think they will stay small lol hes a big boy but nowhere near the size of a frenchie!!

This is my dwarf lop Bailey. He doesn't have papers but he's a purebred/pedigree rabbit (papers costed extra and I don't plant to breed with him so don't need them).

Dwarf lops were bred to resemble small french lops, though I'm not certain they really do. They should be between 2kg and 2.5kg and some can be kinda big.

Compared to minilops, their heads should be a bit more shoebox shaped rather than apple shaped. Ears are longer also.

They are a lovely, goofy breed :D.

DSC04690.jpg

hehe my dwarf lop is 3kg but i was told off someone that because she was bred from non breeding stock shes bound to be bigger then normal sized dwaf lops but shes massive lol half the size of my big cat. looking at that picture of a dwarf lop maybe Misty is a dwarf lop afterall? i dont mind il love him all the same :)

Oh yeah! I don't think I've ever heard of a mini get that big, so I'd say dwarf lop. Misty has the dwarf lop mouth and ears to me :D, she is so pretty! I love her colouring.

Oh one thing I just thought of as I woke up this morning :p, Baileys breeder says one way to tell a dwarf from a mini can be the fur, as dwarf lop fur is longer and finer and very soft compared to the mini lop fur which is shorter and denser.

Latest posts

Back