Bread Crumbs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok you know the canned bread crumbs that come in many flavors? Are the plain ones safe for rabbits? We didn't have any dried bread yesterday so I thought that dried bread crumbs would work and I sprinkled a tinsey bit on the huge rabbit sallad. There wasn't even much to taste it but do you think the bunnies will be fine?

Think of it this way...

If your rabbit was in the wild... Would it eat bread? That's how I base my decisions on what I let my rabbits eat. :)

MsBinky wrote:
Think of it this way...

If your rabbit was in the wild... Would it eat bread? That's how I base my decisions on what I let my rabbits eat. :)
I see no pellets in the wild!!! :p

okiron wrote:
I see no pellets in the wild!!! :p

Very funny. :biggrin2: But they'remade fromunprocessedhays and plant matter. :rollseyes

I'm currently reading a study that makes starchy carbs sound even worse than I thought. (Worse than sugars). As well as the known problem -- they can throw the gut flora off balance and cause major digestive upset (as Pipp can attest to) --I see they also take a lot longer to travel through the GI system which isn't good.

Pipp has had all kinds of problems with starches. I gave her too many treats once (mostly oats and cereal flakes) and that set her off (major poopy butt), andthen she broke into the oat drawer once and nearly died.:shock: (Cecal dysbioisis, which is REALLY major poopy butt). She doesn't eat hay, soshe's already 'fibre challenged'.

I think your bunny will survive the breadcrumbs ;)but I really wouldn't do it again.Pipp gets her starch fix with one oat flake at a time. She'll get half dozen or so a day, and that'sit.

I just put a little apple on everybunny's salad. (They're still tearing it apart looking for any extra bits). :D

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote
Look at the ingredients. It's all raw hays and plant matter. :rollseyes

I'm currently reading a study that makes starchy carbs sound even worse than I thought. (Worse than sugars). As well as the known problem -- they can throw the gut flora off balance and cause major digestive upset (as Pipp can attest to) --I see they also take longer to travel through the GI system which isn't good.

sas :bunnydance:
But it's more fun for my imagination to think of trees that grow pellets lmao:biggrin2:

okiron wrote:
But it's more fun for my imagination to think of trees that grow pellets lmao:biggrin2:

Nah, they grow on vines, silly!

And I hit the 'send' button before I was finished, I thought my screen was crashing, sorry for all the edits!

sas :biggrin2:

That's actually a good rule MsBinky. I read in some rabbit books that stale or hard bread is ok for them, but not soft bread.

Thanks everyone! I won't give them bread anymore. They are fine from that sallad treat though.

Latest posts

Back