Bramble/New Arrivals Last Night!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Briar86

Reaction score
I went out to the barn to feed my two bunnies andto my dismay, bramble had given birth. one outside the nest box. theother three in, all scattered around. i hadn't been there because ididn't know the due date and didn't know she was pregnant. i'm reallyupset. i really wanted those pups. i guess she was pregnant before igot her. she would have only been 15 days preg. when i thought. they'reall cold and lifeless, with my heart right now. what happens now? whatdo i do with the pups?

a dismally disheartened, ellie

Bury them, I imagine. Sorry to hear ofthe loss. Bramble and her kits seem to have paid a heavyprice in many respects due to humanirresponsibility. Too many buns pay similar prices,I'm afraid.

Buck

Aww that's a shame! PoorBramble! As you didn't know she was pregnant, there wasnothing more you could do. *hugs* At least youstill have her, and that's the main thing!

You could bury them yourself or have the vet cremate them, though thisis expensive. We had Binky cremated but haven't yet scatteredthe ashes as we haven't found a special place to do it in, but if youhave a nice part of your garden that you'd like to put them in, burythem there.

Ang xx

Sorry to hear she lost the babies. Thedoe is most receptive within these 3 days of giving birth.Now is the optimal time to breed.

Pam

If you have a place to put her, you can bring herin to kindle in the comfort of home :) Our rabbitry is heatedto 40 degrees, making it more comfortable for our smallerbreedswhich have a more difficult time maintaining their bodyheat in the cold temperatures.

Some type of heat souce near the nest box also works well, as long as it is set up correctly as not to cause a fire risk.

Pam

Not sure if Pam hadfollowed earlier posts concerning this doe. If I recall correctly Ithink there may be some concerns as to her health and condition. Shouldshe be given some time to regain her health before being bred? As Irecall she is underweight, losing hair, and her past is unknown. Justthought you might want to know....I believe she was a rescue and Ellieisn't sure about what happened to her.

Raspberry

she's not losing hair, i checked that yesterday,it's come back. so the only issue is her being under weight and i'vegot her on a feeding program now. so, it should be ok. but, it stillbothers me that she's underweight.

ellie

true, i went out there this morning and i checkthe hutch i searched the box on top and found three and then the oneoutside the hutch. i was so shocked and disgusted i ran up to the housewith the three dead kits and didn't check in the corner of the boxunderneath the nest. (i was squearmish of touching the dead kitsso i didn't really want to search with bare hands.) i came inside andwrote that letter. i went back out to brambles cage to clean it out ofthe blood and remnants of the placenta. i found the in the corner ofthe nest box huddled together, dead as well.

ellie

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Not sure if Pam had followedearlier posts concerning this doe. If I recall correctly I think theremay be some concerns as to her health and condition. Should she begiven some time to regain her health before being bred? As I recall sheis underweight, losing hair, and her past is unknown. Just thought youmight want to know....I believe she was a rescue and Ellie isn't sureabout what happened to her.

Raspberry

Thanks Raspberry!!! Very good point-- Now I do recall adescription of the does condition. And now, knowing the overallsituation better, I do not recommend rebreeding the doe at all.

Pam

I find it really odd that you pause to write apost in the middle of finding 4 dead kits, and haven't checked the nestfor any more, or taken your doe to a vet to see if she is okay. HMMM...Certainly wouldn't be many bunny owner's priority in such a case.

mummybunny

Latest posts

Back