Bonding Worries

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
As you probably know I've just started bonding Benji and Pippin, my two dwarf lop males. It is going sooo well- they are snuggling up to one another and Benji is always licking Pippin.
It is clear who the dominant one is- Benji. Pippin is obviously desperate to be friends, as he tentatively edges up to Benji, his head lowered in a kind of surrender way, and just kind of sits in front of Benji with his head lowered to the floor. THen Benji will sit there licking him.
Now I know Benji very well- we have a kind of routine while he's inside or we are just together; I will stroke him for a while, and then I'll place my hand next to him and he'll lick me for a while (or if he feels his turn is up he'll just start licking me) and then when he feels it's his turn again, he will stop licking me and lower his head to the floor, waiting for me to stroke him again. This goes on for a while. Lol if I don't start his turn again after a few seconds he nudges me, and then if I still don't stroke him he sort of, picks up my finger with his teeth (not hurting) and sort of, fling it ontop of his head lol! So adorable.
Anyway, I notice this little routine kind of going on with Benji and Pippin- Pippin lowers his head and Benji grooms him for aggess. Then Benji will lower his head, waiting for his turn. So i'm sitting there silently begging Pippin to lick Benji back, but he doesn't. And either Benji will wait and then hop off, or with continue to groom Pippin.

NewRunPipnBen081.jpg

I'm worried that if Pippin doesn't start grooming Benji back, Benji might stop grooming him altogether, and that is a great part of bonding. It's certainly been the main feature of this bonding, cos I can see with every 'grooming session' they get closer and more relaxed around each other.
So I tried smearing Banana on Benji's head (a tip that was suggested to me a while ago) and Pippin ignored it. Benji, however smelt it and went crazy trying to find where the banana was. I then sort of, picked Pippin up and placed his head ontop of Benji's, and then he started licking the banana off. But then he started trying to eat Benji's fur.

NewRunPipnBen087.jpg

Do you think that Benji will get tired of the one-sided grooming or do rabbits not really do that? If so does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Or should I just leave it and it will sort itself out? Thanks ever so much.

They have only had two bonding sessions (they've been in the same run for quite a while now, with a partition in the middle, through which Benji always licks Pippin. Am I being too hasty or expecting too much on the 'second date' as it were?

And can I also add Pippin has only ever licked me twice- I am not sure whether he is just not a very licky bunny or he isn't that comfortable around me yet to groom me.

Hmm, if I remember my language of lagamorphs properly, the dominant bunny will actually be the one who demands the grooming, and gets it.

In my bonded pair, my domnant guy did not groom Misty for ages and ages. It took him about8 months - now I finally see him grooming her. Misty (the submissive bun) will groom him constantly.

They will establish their patterns and figure it out, don't worry about who is grooming who - they're working out their dominance issues. Just keep doing what you're doing and in time they'll figure things out.

Hmmm I wouldn't be too concerned myself. Wiggles was bonded to a guinea pig before and would groom her forever. However, now that she is with Bam-Bam, Bam-Bam is the one always doing the licking.

Though I do agree that bunnies establish who dominates by their grooming practices, I also think that some bunnies are just so happy to have a companion that they will groom them to show their appreciation. I think that that is what our bunnies do when they lick us, especially when we let them out to play.

This opinion is all personal and I do not know how many others agree but anyway, I think that with time the grooming will balance out. :)As long as there is no risk of injury, I would not get involved and let nature take its course.

jcottonl02 wrote:
So I tried smearing Banana on Benji's head (a tip that was suggested to me a while ago) and Pippin ignored it. Benji, however smelt it and went crazy trying to find where the banana was.
Firstly I know this is a serious subject but :roflmao:. I just have this vision of Benji running around looking for banana when it was on his head the whole time! Secondly your bunnies look so scrumptious together I really want to bunny nap them. And finally, it sounds like they are bonding really well and I wouldn't be worried about the one sided grooming unless it caused any medical issues by over-grooming. Mine are forever grooming each other but Lacey seems to do it a lot more than Starsky. When Lacey is standing up to clean her front paws Starsky will dive underneath her so that when her paws are moving they are actually giving him a nose rub - he truly is a softy! Good luck with your bonding, enjoy.

Honeypot- what you say would seem so logical, except I know that Benji is the dominant bunny....unless I'm being a bit of a bunny dunce. Here is how it is:

Benji runs round, washes, flops etc. and licks Pippin. He is also the one who attacks.

Pippin walks around, tentatively inching towards Benji, allowing himself to be grooms and then running away when Benji attacks- he does not fight back or show any signs of aggression at all. (I have posted a new thread about this attacking business- it only happens in the run- nowhere else. It's like they are best of friends inside but not outside.)
Does that sound like Pippin or Benji is the dominant one?

Msbinky: thanks :) yeah I'll try not to worry. I really don't see Pippin doing much grooming, unless he tries to be more like Benji and is influenced by him. Pippin has only licked me, briefly, a few times.

Rabb1tmad- yeah it was really funny!!! I was trying not to laugh and splutter cos I thought i might disturb them.
Aww thanks very much :) Benji and Pippin are both blushing :D. They are so gorgeous- and so white!!! I don't know how they stay so clean!

I have posted a new thread explaining the situation now- inside they are the best of friends. Completely. No fighting or aggression. Neutral territory. Outside, still in neutral territory- their run that they share, but I switch the sides they are in- Benji just attacks. Attacks. Attacks. But sometimes licks. ::S:S:S:S:S:S
I have no idea what on earth is going on, but anyone who might know please post back :)

Latest posts

Back