Bonding update ... advice welcome

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayBunny

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just wanted to give an update about bonding our two mini rexes, General and Maggie.

We have had them in cages next to each other for over a month. Without any incidents.
So then we moved them into the bathroom for quick out of cage bonding sessions. They hae been going ok, but it could be better.
Maggie for the most part is curious and wants to see General. General however, faces the wall in a corner. When we do ease him out DH pets him to calm him and he is fine, but if we stop he will dart at and bite Maggie. So we separate them and start over. The session last about 20 minutes each if that. We have done about 8 of those.

We recently, about last week moved Maggie into the living room and let General out to see what that would be like. He for the most part ignores her, occasionally sniffs at her, but never darts or tries to bite. So now we do this when it is time for General's play time.

One time we let Maggie out with General out in the living room. Well, that ended soon, he darted at her so they both went back to their cages next to each other.

So they have been together for about 6 weeks. We really haven't seen any signs of progress. We are going away for the week of Thanksgiving and bringing the buns with us. We hope neutral ground will help. They have both been to this house on separately. But we are hoping to find a room that neither has ever been in. It will be hard though because it is a full house.

All feedback is welcome!!! :brownbunny:bunnieskiss<-------- we need more of this in our bunny house!!

Hi! :wave: Good luck with the bonding! :)

I haven't had a huge amount of experience myself, but I'll give you a few tips. Have you tried taking them in the car together? That has been sucessful for some, and in the bath can help too.

Just gradually build up the amount of time they spend together, keep them entertained with toys and activies. If there is fighting yes, separate them straight away (though if they start mounting that isn't so bad, a little of that will do no harm.)

We have some people on here who have worked wonders with bonding buns, hopefully they will chip in here too. This is a nice little pagewith bonding tips. :) They will be the cutest couple when they bond!

Back