Bonding Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
OK, guys...so I was considering trying out bonding Maisie and Fiver in a laundry basket tomorrow and seeing how it goes.

Now, if they get along instantly, and it's obvious that it's just done and they okay to live together....how do I go about doing this?

Would it be okay if I put them in Fiver's cage, added another level and used pegboard and panels from Maisie's cage? Or would that start a problem, given that she's cage aggressive?

I was going to buy new pegboard, but we can't right at the moment...and at the same time I would love to just get started on this, and tomorrow while Hubby's at home would be the perfect time. Is it a MUST that I get new pegboard, so there's a NEUTRAL smell in the cage?

Please lend me your thoughts...

Thanks! :)

How exciting! :D

Even if they seem to connect instantly, I would not feel comfortable housing two newly introduced bunnies together. It's similar to human relationships, you have to build a trusting relationship and not to rush it :D.

I rushed bonding with the trio when they weren't ready, increasing the amount of time etc. and it definitely wasn't the best choice. Just start out slowly, and if things are going well, great! Keep increasing the space they are in and time out together if they are continually making awesome progress and seem comfortable with each other, so you can feel comfortable that when you do have them together in one cage, if one bunny does something the other bunny doesn't like, they won't immediately turn to tussling.

It may not be an instant thing in the beginning, and even if it is, it still needs to go slow and steady for a strong bond. I would just start with the laundry basket bonding for a few days, then maybe couch bonding for a few days, and slowly increase the area they are in and time spent together until they are together for a while. After a few bonding sessions, if you are worried about cage aggression, switching cages every couple days is great to get them familiar with the other bunnies scent and move along bonding!

Ok, cool! Thank you so much for your input, Spring! :D

So, tomorrow, we'll start on laundry basket bonding, and if things go well, progress from there.

How long do you think we should start out with? 10 mins? Longer?

Hi maherwoman,

IMO how long the bonding session lasts depends on how the buns react to each other. If they don't take to each other too well, then a short first session will do, around 2-5 mins. But if they ignore each other or seem relaxed together, i'd leave them for a little longer.. for Buttons and Yohji, i gave them about 20-30 mins during the first week of bonding. For the most part, they were just intrigued with the new area they were in, but every once in a while, Buttons would charge at Yohji.. she didn't bite, luckily, she just kinda gave him head butts.

Its important for each session to end on a good note, so that the buns don't leave the bonding area seething with anger and plotting revenge :p If there is a tussle, separate them and keep them separated until they calm down, and then only remove them from the bonding area.

Hope that helps :) best of luck with Fiver and Maisie! I hope to see pics of them snuggling against each other soon, they'd look so cute together!!

Unfortunately, no...we haven't been able to do a bonding session with them yet.

We were going to do it this weekend, but had a whole bunch of stuff come up.

I'll update when we can actually get underway with things. :)

Latest posts

Back