Bonding help? Not sure which is the best option..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) Everything in Spring Land is great! The bunnies are doing wonderful, and I am too!

I do have a lot of decisions to make about bonding.. and need my trusty RO buddies to help me with pros/cons, ideas, and input! :)

I am currently working on bonding with my three guys. I originally was trying for a trio (still am, sort of). Now though, I'm rethinking it, because I don't feel like it would be the best option for the bunnies. I want whatever is best for my guys, and how they are during bonding, I think they much rather have their own personal buddy.

I just get the feeling during bonding when I am working with two out that they are so much happier and more cooperative then they ever were when I was doing trio sessions back in August. I just generally get a more positive and happy vibe while I'm doing bonding with a pair than a trio. Even Poppy and Pebbles, it's like night and day when they are out just the two of them, or if Bruno tags along. With trios, they got along for the most part, but one bunny was always left out (either one of the girls, since the girls both go out of their ways to cuddle and be around Bruno). I also encountered a lot of fights that were sparked from jealousy. I just think it will be a constant battle and competition between the girls if I were to bond a trio for Bruno's attention..

So I am left with a few options.. I could bond a trio.. or I could go with two pairs. I really would like to bond everyone to a friend, because just from the short sessions I do, they seem SO much happier. I haven't really done much Poppy/Bruno bonding, but with Pebbles/Bruno, they get along so well! I had them out the other night, and to me it seemed like love at first site. Absolutely no problems, cuddling, Pebbles was grooming Bruno, sharing kale, and only a bit of mounting from Bruno which Pebbles tolerated. So that leaves maybe trying for a pair between Bruno and Pebbles, then maybe adopting Poppy a friend.

I'm so unsure and confused about everything, not sure exactly which would be best for the bunnies number one, and for me.

All ideas or suggestions welcome :). I'm open to anything :D.

*Thought since you had to read such a long post, I would add in some pictures too.. hehe

Picture271.jpg

Picture273.jpg

Picture243.jpg

I think that if you have the room, think you can take care of 4 bunners longterm, and all that, it's great! but adding another could be a lot. You might not get them to bond with each other - there are tons of issues there. You could end up with a trio and one lone bunny.

So, my official advice would be..... bond the trio for now. You have a lot of stuff ahead of you in life I think and they will all be happy.

I've been dealing with bonding issues as well. Right now we have the upstairs buns and the downstairs buns. 2 up 2 down. We originally thought of bonding 3 but there was one guy at the humane society that I couldn't leave behind.:heartbeat:

So we decided to bond 2and then maybe at some time to bond all 4.

I'm not experienced with trios, but I feel like there is more love to go around when you have 2 pairs. Go with what's in your heart, you know what'sbest. If you feel like someone is always left out, go for a fourth!

I think go with your gut. Two pairs gives you an excuse to get another bunbun! Why don't you bond Pebbles and Bru (look at those two!!!), and take Poppy on some bunny dates. SARS or the SPCA should be able to help you with that :).

Think of it as a Christmas present for you and Poppy :).

I have the best solution send Bruno to me. LOL

Good Luck in what ever you do.

Susan and Gang (hopefully Bruno included LOL):apollo:

It will all work out one way or another, but I just want what's best for everyone!

I've thought about it a lot, and getting a 4th rabbit won't be too much trouble time wise, money wise and space wise. With some planning and organizing, if that stood out as the best option, it really isn't a big issue.

I agree, if I were to get a fourth bunny, I would most likely be taking Poppy to the SPCA for a bunny dateor see about doing a bunny date with SARS. Poppy will get along with anyone willing to groom and cuddle her :).

For myself, I would feel a lot more comfortable with two pairs, but would love to see a trio work.I just worry about a spark of jealousy out of the blue causing fights, or having one bunny always left alone.

I agree Bo, I think my best option is to continue with trying for a trio, then if there seems to be a lot of tension and jealousy, then try for two pairs. What ever happens though, I'll try my best to make it the happiest and best option for both me and the bunnies What that is, I'm not sure yet! Might just take a few tests to see which combo works the best!

Thanks guys!

Bruno stays here, by the way! :D Bad, bad, bad Susan for suggesting me parting with my Bru boy! :nonono::big wink:

I am going to try to bond Marlin and Morgan (when he comes home). I will probably try in Janruary, then in March/April...try to bond in Brody after his neuter, to form a trio.

I worry the same thing you worry, that someone will be left out. I really hope that Morgan will bond with either Marlin or Brody. Morgan hasn't had a buddy since like March, after being bonded with his brother, probably, since birth....8 months! He is sad, and really needs a bunny buddy to cuddle with.

I don't have a choice here to add in another bunny, so I really hope my plan works out!

I say, keep trying for a trio, but if you feel that you can add in a 4th rabbit and think it would be best for everyone to have their "own" rabbit...then go for it! You can always try to bond all 4 later on, that way they will be in a group....but still have a "closer buddy".

Ok, so a bit of a different plan.. I'm pretty sure now I'm going to go with two pairs. Was thinking about Pebbles and Bruno, but there seemed to be quite a bit of tension with the two, especially since Pebbles is quite energetic and bouncy, which made Bruno nervous during bonding. I've decided to pair Bruno up with Poppy, and so far it's going great! Bruno rarely groomed Pebbles, but every bonding session Bruno and Poppy have, Bruno goes straight away to groom Poppy. Of course Poppy loves it ;).

I think Bruno and Poppy will be the best match because Poppy is quite mellow and lazy, which seems to suit Bruno's uneasy personality with bonding, Poppy needs someone who will groom her unconditionally (she hasn't yet groomed another bunny) and both have absolutely no aggression towards each other now. I've had them out for an hour or so twice today, and never did I have to intervene with even the slightest nip or tension. Just gotten lots of cuddles, dead bunny flops, and grooming from Bruno ;).

I think with how it's going it will be fairly easy to bond Poppy and Bruno. My plan currently is to bond Bruno and Poppy, and let them live in the huge 11 x 4 pen downstairs. Then when I take Pebbles on some bunny dates at the shelter, and she and her friend bond, have them live as free ranged bunnies in my room/hall in front of my room(when I'm at home). That way, all four bunnies will have a friend, a TON of room and human attention.

That's the best case scenario. I'm 100% I'll bond Bruno to one of the girls (now my gut tells me Poppy, MAKE UP YOUR MIND! LOL). Then, take the other girl on a few dates to pick out a friend, and work on bonding with those two. Even if they don't bond, or the worst case scenario, Bruno/girlie pair don't work out, and girlie/friend pair don't work out, I'll make sure I do whatever I can to bond, but if it just doesn't work, then 4 single bunnies is workable :D.

I am able to care for them (both in attention and cost), so I just feel like I should make a few decisions, and go on with the bunny bonding train!

...Knowing me, this whole plan will probably change, but I'm hoping I'm on the money with this one!

Latest posts

Back