Bonding 2 does

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoxyBunny

Reaction score
Hi,

I know there have been a lot of threads recently about bonding but I cannot find anything about bonding 2 does, soI am looking for some advice.

I am looking after a friend's lop this weekend as she is away, and as she will soon be moving and having to find a new home forher bun,I thoughtI would see if hers gets on with mine, and if soI would be able to give her a home. I also thought it would be good for my bun to have some company.

I have followed the advice on the board carefully and have introduced them this afternoon in neutral territory (the bathroom).

Everything was going fantastic until Roxy (my bun) decided to start humping hers (Flopsy). There a followed a lot of mutual bum sniffing and humping with an alarming amount of fur pulling:shock:. They were not fighting or violent butI had not expected this behaviour.

(And I have double checked and they are both girls!)

Is this normal and will they grow out of it once they get to know each other better?

Are they trying to assert their dominance?

I was quite prepared for out and out fighting but I do not know what to make of this!

Thanks

Are they spayed? Until they are spayed it will be almost impossible to bond them. And how old are they?

My buns have been together since they were little. We went through the bonding process and they were fine until they were both over 6 mos. Then there was massive humping and some fighting. My poor bun Hazel always face humped and ended up getting bitten down there... >.<

Best suggestion is to get them both spayed and then go about bonding them. The bonding process should go very normally then and you can use all of the tricks you'll find on this board.

Thanks for that.

No, they are not spayed. Roxy is just over a year old, and Flopsy is about 9 months. This all fits in with you saying they are ok until they get to 6 months.

Oh dear. Will need to look into getting them spayed then, before I can consider taking on Flopsy.

Thanks again :biggrin2:

Definitely look into spaying, I had the same issues with my girls, Poppy and Pebbles,when I was testing out bonding before their spays. They never really had the time to form a trusting bond because they were too busy mounting.

Afterwards, they were a lot calmer and were not so focused on mounting each other, it was a lot easier. It still didn't work out, because I decided to bond Poppy to Bruno and get Pebbles a friend, but I'm in the same boat now bonding Pebbles to Jasmine!

From my experience, two females can work but I don't find they connect as quickly. I'm working slow but steady with bonding Pebblesand Jasmine, and it's going really well. Afteryour guysare spayed, and if you were patient enough, bonding Roxy and Flopsy could work!

If this is something you are willing to try out, I think it's great! Just know with taking on Flopsy, or any bunny for that matter, that there's a possibility they won't bond. Most will bond with patient and multiple sessions, but be open if it doesn't work out, having two single bunnies will work for you.

Latest posts

Back